We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Almyrida

Which Almyrida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ashby de la Zouch...
reviews: 14
Eating out in Almyrida

Hi, i can see from the reviews that there are plenty of places to eat and drink in Almyrida but can any one give me an idea of cost.

We are 4 ladies of a certain age staying at the Almyrida Beach Hotel for a week in June on quite a strict budget. We are half board but would like to go out for a meal while we are there, my sisters 50th. Also 3 of us do like a nice bottle of wine!

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

11 replies to this topic
Chania Town, Greece
reviews: 28
1. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

Hi, I live just 1km from Almyrida so can answer you easily! The tavernas are not expensive - if you share a salad & 1 or 2 starters, then have a main course each, with loose house wine, you'll be looking at around e15 each. If it's fresh fish or steak then more, of course. You'll be given a free small desert & tsikoudia (raki) to drink after your meal.

I'll highly recommend for a 'proper' Greek meal, that you walk up the hill to Plaka to O Harokopos taverna. Dinner there costs about e11 each & is beautiful home cooking, all fresh ingredients.

Ashby de la Zouch...
2. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

Hi, thank you for the reply its very helpful. We would like to eat out in the evening if we can and at those sort of prices it shouldnt be a problem.

Its our first time on Crete, my mum has wanted to go there ever since she saw the Lotus Eaters on the TV, showing all our ages now!

Edited: 4:19 am, February 05, 2013
Ludlow, United...
reviews: 56
3. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

would deffo second the idea of a trip up to plaka some great tavernas in the village and very reasonable

E Sussex
reviews: 9
4. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

We stayed in Plaka a couple of years ago and the tavernas in the square are really good, as is Sunset Taverna which is a little out of the village on the road down to Almyrida - it was a couple of years ago though. Tsumani Bar in Almyrida opposite the small beach does great ice coffees and ice cream!! We're going back this year and can't wait!!

Ashby de la Zouch...
5. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

Thanks for all the great replies.

Stourbridge, United...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

Of a certain age am I ! : ) This is from the sister who will be 49 and a bit for ever more!

Ashby de la Zouch...
7. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

Life will start at 49 and a bit then!

If some one could let us know of a taverna that does good live music that would be great too.

Gavalochori, Greece
reviews: 16
8. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

Yes - lots of choice in Almyrida, Plaka and nearby Kalives mostly at similar prices unless you opt for an exclusive dish, fish or beef steaks. If you want to treat yourselves one night you could go and see Michaelis at Elpis in Plaka and have chicken with fresh oranges & honey, or liver with apples & onions, 2 dishes you won't see elsewhere. In Plaka there is also a great value village grill and an Italian restaurant if you fancy a change.

Another treat could be Aeraki at the end of the prom in Almyrida which is a cut above the others, or nearby Lagos ("The Hare") which is reasonable & family run with superbly fragile cheese pies. A good place for an aperitif or coffee & metaxa in Almyrida is Cafe Franciose(say hello to Mira) with nice snacks and cakes at lunchtime.

The tiny taxi rank at Almyrida will provide access to little villages with tavernas just inland like Douliana, Vamos and, of course, Gavalochori (where I live!) where the village cafe has morfed into an excellent taverna run by Monica with occasional live music and there are a couple more places worth exploring in the village.

The Almyrida Residence Hotel has a super rooftop bar & pool where they have frequent live music, and it's a good place to read the Sunday papers with a frappe, or Mythos and a club sandwich!

Ashby de la Zouch...
9. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

Thats amazing thank you so much, I almost feel as if I am there!

We are so looking forward to our trip and the more we hear about the area the more know we have made the right choice!

Ludlow, United...
reviews: 56
10. Re: Eating out in Almyrida

I am sure you will love crete have a great holiday

Reply to: Eating out in Almyrida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Almyrida