We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almyrida or Panormo

Which Almyrida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
reviews: 104
Almyrida or Panormo

Thinking of visiting Crete Sept 2013 - want a beach holiday which feels relaxed & not too overcrowded but on the other hand not deserted. Have been looking at these too villages as I feel somewhere like Elounda may be too touristy & busy. Are these a good choice. I'm also looking at Molvyos on Lesvos & Kadamili on the mainland. Any info gratefully received.

Chania Town, Greece
Destination Expert
for Chania, Chania Town
reviews: 28
1. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

My choice would be Almyrida - but I'm biased as I live near there!

I feel it fits your beach - relaxed - not deserted brief well. You can easily get out & about - into Hania, up to the Mountains, lots of pretty traditional villages nearby etc, when you tire of the beach.

Almyrida has 2 hotels & plenty of villas & 'rent rooms'. There are approx 6 tavernas with lovely Cretan food & fish, a couple of 'snack' & giro places, 3 or 4 bars/ coffee shops. NO discos or clubs, no nightlife to speak of. very quiet & relaxed. Lots of families & mature people, walkers etc - no groups of kids on the lash.

Hope that helps

Ludlow, United...
reviews: 56
2. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

I am also biased but you will love Molyvos it is choc box perfect and Almaryda is okay and the village of plaka fantastic kalives is also nice but look at the south of crete Paleochora visit waters edge cafe site and paleochora web site if you want tranquil go to Alpha caffenion blog site lucky is the worlds number one host and a great guy one of my very good friends

Edited: 2:29 pm, September 15, 2012
Agii Apostoli...
reviews: 43
3. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

As you said, avoid Elounda, all the other places are nice and quiet. If you want more peace and tranquility, stay at Paliohora or Sougia south of Chania. Maleme and Kissamos are other good options, but their beaches have small pebles, if you don't mind that. Stavros is another isolated and nice beach.

Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 22
4. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

Stayed in both places - Almyrida and Panormos in 2009. Panormos village was our favourite - very sleepy early season, lovely village 'centre' in the evening. Acceptable village beach but don't expect too much. Please note that there are a few of those 'All Inclusive' places located just outside of Panormos, but we didn't even find out about them until we returned home. The tourists who use these places didn't seem to visit the village, as far as i could tell. Bus service at the top of the village to Rhythmnon. Almyrida is very different - a ribbon of a beach, no real village 'centre' but pleasant all the same. But don't dismiss Elounda entirely, though - it is very good. A Brit stronghold (just check the TA forum to confirm) but probably that way from its history ( former seaplane landing strip/1970s TV series).

reviews: 18
5. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

Panormo if you want to experience Crete like it was 30 years ago. Unspoilt and stunning . it has many nice taverns. No boom boom clubs at all. We stayed at self catering apartments called Panorama Seafront Homes which were new and next to the sea. A great place to experience Greece

Lincolnshire
reviews: 36
6. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

Hi,

Have been to Almyrida several times, Panormo once! I would choose Almyrida any time. Nice Tavernas, friendly people, good accommodation in both hotels and properties to rent. The surrounding area is lovely with lots of places to visit. A visit to Chania is recommended too. If you want to get out and about car hire is recommended.

Gavalochori, Greece
reviews: 16
7. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

Yes, I'm biased too, but I like the beaches of the Apokoronas region containing Almyrida, Kalyves, Kalivaki, Georgeopolis etc. The main beaches are all sandy and mostly sheltered & gently sloping(Georgeopolis excepted) with a small selection of tavernas/kantinas. There are some rocky coves and caves for scuba fans & anglers too.

Vantaa, Finland
reviews: 21
8. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

How is the beach in Almyrida ? Maybe could try it in August 2013

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
9. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

>How is the beach in Almyrida ? <

We spent a couple of weeks in Almirida a number of years ago. It was too small for the people-traffic it got even then, and there have since sprouted two hotels and many more villas, so I imagine it is now pretty busy. That's of course a matter of opinion - I like plenty of space on a beach; others don't feel strongly about that, and I'm sure there are busier, smaller beaches in Crete than Almirida. But in my opinion the Kalives and Georgioupolis beaches are much better, as well as much bigger; and both places, although popular with tourists, have a real village at their core.

Edited: 10:49 am, February 02, 2013
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 26
10. Re: Almyrida or Panormo

difficult suggesting for other people, my wife and I like Palochora which has everything for us, we went in May time here and things were just starting up for the holiday season. More people go in June, July and August

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16

we have been to Panormo a quiet place but does have AI down the road but lacks scenery for us

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19

Last year we went to Lemnos a very nice place but windy in our first week in June (but the weather is not known to be this bad)

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2

Parga probably the most scenic but was busy in the July and a little more expensive

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21

Stoupa another Mainland place we like and a toss of the dice to which we prefer between Paleochora and here

http://holidayreviews.info/viewforum.php?f=33

I have been to Lesbos and Molyvos but sometime ago and photos are old, also Corfu and Skiathos but wasnt impressed with the last two

Hope that helps you

Get answers to your questions about Almyrida