We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani Sea Lodge questions

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 12
Diani Sea Lodge questions

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how far the local supermarket/shops is/are from Diani Sea Lodge? Is it safe to walk?

I know there is a shopping centre, but it was difficult to work out if it is safe to walk to it!

One more question! Has anybody stayed at the Diani Sea Lodge and if so, How did you find it. (I've looked at the reviews, just wanted to ask directly!)

Thanks

Ali.

8 replies to this topic
Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
reviews: 6
1. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

There is a shopping mall with a supermarket about 1.5 km from your hotel. Go right on the tarmac road as you exit the hotel and just follow it. The supermarket is called Chandarana and should have everything you need. There is a Nakumatt a further 2 km up the road.

The road is perfectly safe by day. I also walk the road at night sometimes when I head for a drink at Tandoori Bar just opposite your hotel gate. People think I'm crazy to do it, but the beach road has a steady flow of traffic, and robberies right on the road are rare to non-existent. They are more likely to happen in or around the residential compounds some distance off the main road.

London, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

Thank you very much for your helpful response. Really looking forward to visiting kenya:)

Nottingham, United...
3. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

can you tell what beer is served in diani sea resort

Caerphilly, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

It's called Tusker beer and I'm drinking a glass of it right now in Diani Sea Resort, quite tasty too, the area is safe to walk around in daylight but probably much safer to take a taxi once it gets dark, the hotel itself is excellent and beach is stunning, beach boys a little annoying but always remember they are only trying to make a living the same as most people do!!

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
reviews: 6
5. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

There's actually a small range of beers available, including Tusker Malt, Pilsner and of course Guinness. I don't think Kenyan bars stock nearly enough variety, thanks mainly to the fact that we have just one big brewer with a near stranglehold on the market. Plus most drinking establishments don't offer cheaper draft beer in their quest for higher profits. But we're not a one-beer state, not yet at least.

You'll actually find a little more variety in the supermarkets.

Edited: 11:28 pm, February 13, 2014
Nottingham, United...
6. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

I saw someones comment that DSL had salt water showers,presumably bath water as well ,surely not? Sorry its a question not an answer

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
7. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

Hi,

Don't know DSL but a general comment, most hotels particularly those away from Mombasa itself (where there is a piped supply) get their water from bore holes. At some point in the past the water table on the coast close to the sea has been contaminated by sea water so the water you get from the bore holes is salty, not as salty as sea water but salty nonetheless. The saltiness of the water varies and some bore holes actually produce 'sweet' water as it is known here (clean and salt free) but most have a degree of salt.

A new pipeline carrying a supply of pure water from springs in the inland hills has recently been laid coming into the coast somewhere around here and running south through the North Coast resort areas of Shanzu and Bamburi, I don't know but I doubt that such a supply has been laid ror the less developed South Coast where DSL is

So yes it is likely that at DSL all tap, shower and bath water will be salty to some degree.

Brundish
reviews: 4
8. Re: Diani Sea Lodge questions

Well we have just booked for the middle of June looks a great place got a very deal with Thompson as well

Reply to: Diani Sea Lodge questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted