We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
reviews: 3
Visa on arrival

I was hoping to just carry Kenyan shillings on me so I wanted to double check if the visa on arrival and departure tax can be paid in Kenyan shillings as Thomson quote the price in dollars when booking??

Also, are the visa forms given to you on route (flying with Thomson)?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
1. Re: Visa on arrival

Hi.

You can't pay in shillings but you can pay in Pounds (£30). They probably hand them out on the plane but you can download one in advance. See this FAQ on the Kenya Forum for the links

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-c188605/Ken…

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
2. Re: Visa on arrival

Visa on arrival, like everything else in Kenya, should in theory be payable in Kenya shillings. The usual rule is £30, $50, €40 or SF40 and I would carry £30 just to be sure. And let us know how you get on!

Has anyone else tried this?

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Bristol, United...
3. Re: Visa on arrival

Ok great, this does make me wonder why Thomson quote you in Dollars in that case.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
4. Re: Visa on arrival

John,

The visa is officially priced in US dollars. If you look at the Immigration D Department's website it only mentions US Dollars. The other prices are officially sanctioned and formally fixed approximations to the exchange rate.

BTW did Thomson tell you that they make you pay your own Departure Tax?

Richard.

I may be mistaken but my understanding has always been that (like many developing countries I have been to) visas must be paid in foreign currency, it's an easy way for the governments to acquire foreign currency

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
5. Re: Visa on arrival

Doff, you're probably right. I'd like to see it written down somewhere, though! This isn't the 1980s any more, when you couldn't buy dollars in Kenya and there were strict controls on the import and export of Kenya shillings.

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Bristol, United...
6. Re: Visa on arrival

Yes I'm aware there is a departure tax with Thomson, which again is something they price in dollars which is why I was confused on what currency to actually take for my arrival and departure

One further question, will I need to have any additional documents or spare passport photos on me other than my passport for arrival?

Edited: 4:15 pm, January 19, 2014
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
7. Re: Visa on arrival

The departure tax, because (for everyone other than Thomson's passengers) it is paid along with the other taxes as part of the plane ticket is priced in the universal aviation currency USD, and because the passenger doesn't normally see it there aren't official prices in Pounds, Euros and Swiss Francs (unlike visas which are always paid directly by the punter).

You can pay the Departure tax in Pounds or Shillings as well as Dollars, but because they only accept notes the sterling price is limited to £5 increments. So while $40 has been around £27 - £28 for a while they have been charging £30, and even though $40 is now a little under £25 on the open market I doubt they will have reduced what they charge.

You don't need photos, they photograph and sometimes fingerprint you electronically at the airport

8. Re: Visa on arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 22, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach