We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
posts: 15
reviews: 1
Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

We have a holiday booked in Diani beach for August which I was really looking forward to however am now considering whether to change my plans following the latest grenade attack a bit too close to where I am staying for comfort and am wondering what will happen next. Anyone else thinking of cancelling?

posts: 219
reviews: 6
1. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

Returning in 3 weeks to Diani so not cancelling - Its a long time until August for your own holiday so lots may or may not happen, no one can predict anything anywhere in the world - Only you can decide if you think you will not feel comfortable/safe then maybe, yes make other arrangements - When something like this happens people tend to go in panic mode & think the worse, perhaps let the dust settle for a while then review & decide.

Destination Expert
for Seychelles
posts: 3,498
reviews: 76
2. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

I booked my holiday just after the Westgate attack and I am talking here about road safari + beach holiday at Baobab Beach Resort. I would definitely return to Kenya to see the migration but next time I will use planes to visit the parks because of the roads quality. So I do not see why you should cancel the holiday. If you stay in the resort and use a good safari company you will be more than safe.


Penkridge, United...
posts: 39
reviews: 2
3. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

staying at diani as well next july / august and not worrying at the moment a lot can happen between now and then will wait and see

posts: 286
reviews: 12
4. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

We're actually going to Diani for the first time this Monday, and in the light of these recent 'attacks' I will be a bit more alert than usual but we will not be cancelling our trip for the sake of a few random issues that could happen anywhere in the world,

I think if we did then that would be the end of any further travelling / holidays for us as we would be to worried to go anywhere at all.

South coast we will see you on Monday ...and can't wait!

posts: 116
reviews: 1
5. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

i did not book until i hear of new security checkpoints on road and ferry. its always not safest so if it get better i will glad go at easter.

and the main junction(ronghi corner) in ukanda is a disaster waiting to happen,.

too much husteling and pressurising of tourist there,.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
posts: 619
reviews: 7
6. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

I sympathize with your concerns, Sorrymess, but one thing we'd better not expect in Kenya is more or better security. What we have now is pretty much what we will get, and you should make your decision based on that. The country's budget is already stretched, and the coast has never been a priority. In a few of Kenya's worst crisis areas, such as Baragoi and Tana River, the government has sent in paramilitary forces but if the witnesses are to be believed, they haven't been much help, and they can even make the situation worse with their looting and other abuses. But I doubt the government will ever send troops or paramilitary forces to the tourist resorts. Besides costing money, that will advertise to the world that the place is hazardous. The desire in Diani now is to act as if nothing bad has happened (though perhaps that is also unwise).

The Likoni ferry will not have any serious security check because this would bring the boats nearly to a halt. There are simply too many people using them every day. And it is also unaffordable to implement.

As for the Ukunda corner, the nuisance people you mention there are not dangerous. They are just peddlars, beggars, addicts, prostitutes, etc looking to make some money, and sadly with the new slump in tourism you will see a lot more of them on the streets.

Edited: 3:37 am, January 04, 2014
Sydney, Australia
posts: 1
7. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

nope Im still going

posts: 116
reviews: 1
8. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?





posts: 15
reviews: 1
9. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting no one is saying they are thinking of cancelling so maybe just me worrying. On reflection I think I will wait and see.

I don't intend going out of the hotel apart from the beach unless it is an organised trip such as a safari but the beach is public and I don't want to be worrying when I should be relaxing. I am the type who hates flying because a tiny % of planes crash!

I booked based on the fact that most problems were miles away but this and the Iikoni incident has made me think, especially as I am taking my children with me.

posts: 116
reviews: 1
10. Re: Anyone else thinking of cancelling now?

yeh its more the crowded places that can make a person nervous,.also try get to shimba hills day safari,,

stil u got pizza place beside nakumatt etc ideal for kids when they tired of beach,.

the restraunt in shimba hills is built in stilts overloookign a lak wiht eagleis divign for fish really worth seeing,,my friend and myself are stll talking about after 3 years ago,,so thats is next on my list when i go back,,,,,cheers,,

Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach