We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani Beach Safety

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall, England
reviews: 29
Diani Beach Safety

I am travelling to Kenya in February, our last week is going to be spent at Diani Beach.

Is there much security in this area? I'm guessing all of the hotels and resorts have their own security? In light of what is happening between Somalia and Kenya I am a little concerned, I'm aware that this is not a city or a very busy beach area like Mombassa but just wondering peoples thoughts?

Thank you

shamba25
reviews: 6
1. Re: Diani Beach Safety

Yes all the hotels have security & have done for many years - Diani is a quiet , safe & beautiful place for a relaxing holiday..Like most of kenya, But no one can predict what can happen any where in the world- We certainly didnt expect any of the terrorists attacks we had in the uk Its maybe a little early to think of cancelling I hope you dont, but its a personal choice only you can make.

Cornwall, England
reviews: 29
2. Re: Diani Beach Safety

We won't be cancelling, been looking forward to this holiday for so long! Thank you for your reply, good to get other people opinions. Has put my mind to rest about the security situation.

Killenaule...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Diani Beach Safety

Hi i been to ukunda dianiii beach many times, i hope to go back before december i miss the place every year.

the beach is fantastic never ending.Just do not wander about to far off roads if your boozing ,, cheers,.

edinburgh
reviews: 132
4. Re: Diani Beach Safety

I can only speak for the hotels we have visited in Diani and the hotel we stay at Southern Palms for many years.

S.P. has huge closed wooden gates at the front manned by at least 4 security guards.

If coming back by taxi or safari van even if they know us which they do they will open the gates, look in the boot and scan underneath the car.

There is then a bar which is lifted for the vehicle to go to main entrance where more security guards are.

Each block of rooms are manned by security guards 24/7. The beach has security guards and there is an organised beach walk each day with the animation team and guards.

Although most hotels we have visited do not have the huge gates there are always security guards at the front of the hotel and a barrier.

All shopping centers have security guards in Diani.

If wanting to get out we normally take a taxi to a shopping center and stop off en route if we wish to go to another place.

The taxi driver will stay or come back for you at a time specified for you to take you back to your hotel.

At night it is not feasible to wander around in the dark so always take a taxi if going out. Although on saying that my husband runs outwith when I am getting ready for dinner and is dark.

Do go and have a lovely time!!

Bratislava, Slovakia
reviews: 17
5. Re: Diani Beach Safety

Hi, just returned from Diani beach, we traveled just few days after the attacks and were considering wether to go or not. We did not cancel and I'm glad. The beach is safe, we did not feel any threats of the attack anywhere during or stay. Not even at the Nairobi airport or Mombasa. We had a lovely time, do travel, it's a place worth visiting.

Killenaule...
6. Re: Diani Beach Safety

hi what is the ferry situation now at Likoni ? Ii it Any more efficient or faster thanks ,,

Northampton, United...
reviews: 16
7. Re: Diani Beach Safety

Hi we came back from kenya 14th Oct and it is an extremely slow process - it seemed slower than last year! Also they are different ferries! Allow more time than you need!

Berlin
8. Re: Diani Beach Safety

Kenya have big problems with security, not in the hotels, but outside is not safe:

news24.com/Africa/News/Swiss-tourist-killed-…

ntv.co.ke/news2/…

leics
9. Re: Diani Beach Safety

firstly Diani is a long way south of the Somalian border. The hotel itself is well guarded - they don't even allow local safari firms through the gates most of the time. You have to walk to the gates for your pick-up unless going with a Tour operator. The beach is also guarded and there is a reef about 500 yards off shore so no one can easily approach from the sea even.

edinburgh
reviews: 132
10. Re: Diani Beach Safety

I don't know about other hotels but Southern Palms have stepped up security to a high level.

From local knowledge regarding the incident in Diani the poor Swiss person was a resident in Diani and was drinking at Winds Bar at Tradewinds and he resisted with the robbers.

They don't seem to know about the robbery at the store in Diani.

Obviously I am getting this second hand therefore the car hijacking may have been a separate incident.

Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach