We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to take a boat trip

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Riberac, France
reviews: 31
Is it safe to take a boat trip

I would like to take a boat trip to swim with the dolphins, cant remember the place they take you.

But reading the gov.uk webiste has put me off a bit, as they are saying about pirates, and that in the Indian ocean it can and does happen.

anyone been on this sort of boat trip can advice of there experience please, as this is something I really would like to do

Glasgow, United...
1. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

i dont recall any recent incidents around "wasini dolphin trips",

just some sea sickness at times,

and some missed opportunities to spot them!

have enjoyed this trip few times now and will definitely be going again!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
2. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

There have never been any pirate incidents on the South Coast of Kenya, at least not for two or three hundred years ヅ

There were two incidents in the remote Lamu area right at the northern end of the Kenyan coast around two years ago, but the coast resorts other than those in the Lamu area were always safe from the threat of pirates and kidnap attacks as they were too far away from their bases in Somalia. Wasini is about 260 miles from the Somali border

That threat has receded hugely since those two incidents because of the security forces presence in the area and the fact that the Kenyan Army and African Union troops in Somalia took the towns that were used as bases for those attacks and forced Al Shabaab right back into a remote last outpost. There has also been a big reduction in Somali piracy generally

3. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, September 24, 2013
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
4. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

I wouldn't worry about pirates - as said above, there haven't been any incidents on this part of the coast. A boat trip is a rather lovely way to spend time seeing what's under the water as opposed to what's on the land on safari. When I go on the glass bottom boats I do worry about over-loading and insist on seeing their life-saving equipment as there have been mishaps on those boats in the past. Biggest problem on the dhow trip would be sea sickness and sunburn as the cooling winds hide the burning equatorial sun. Its a fun day out so go!

Zanzibar, Tanzania
5. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

Wasinidolphintours is the better and famous place for dolphin watching as swimming with is restricted now due to conservation matters.

can get more details from the google but Kisite and wasini Islands are the places to go per your interests.

Riberac, France
6. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

Thats great, thanks, this does interest me

Riberac, France
7. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

Thanks everyone for replying, mind at rest just ready to go now but November seems a long way off

8. Re: Is it safe to take a boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 29, 2014