We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UPgrade at Baobab

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, United...
UPgrade at Baobab

Can anyone tell me about upgrading.......We are booked to go to the Baobab in September. I hear the resort is 3 hotels in one. Everyone seems to talk about upgrading to the Maridadi or Kole Kole. I wasnt even aware or offered the 2 alternatives spoken about. Is it worth upgrading, will there be a chance to on arrival and how much would it cost? Am i right in thinking we can use all the facilities in all three of the hotels? We are booked on the Big 5 with thomsons and suddenly feel like we havent been given all the information. This is a "one off" holiday for our 38th wedding Anniversary and so we wanted to have the best experience posssible. Would be grateful for anybody who has any information on this.

16 replies to this topic
south wales [uk]
reviews: 18
1. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

hi

Thomson/First Choice bookings in the Baobab Beach Resort is by room grading

Standard Rooms are in Baobab wing

Superior Rooms are in Baobab or Kole

Deluxe Rooms are in Maridadi or Kole

Kole Siutes understandably are in Kole Kole

we stayed in Kole Kole and were more than impressed , big rooms queen size 4 poster bed , 2 showers .bath robes,slippers etc wether or not you can upgrade I suppose will depend on the availability of rooms , but there are plenty of signs around encourageing you to upgrade , so it shouldn't be a problem

you a free to use all facilities at all the 3 wings , there is no restriction at all.

bear in mind if you have booked a safari with Thomson you have to vacate your room for the duration of the safari [they put your cases in secure storage] and return to a different room after , this may be a plus because some we spoke to were upgraded on return from safari !!!

it is annoying not knowing not wing you will be staying in , more so for us as a party of 6 , booking 3 x Deluxe rooms we wanted to ensure we were all on the same wing , being Deluxe we could be on Maridadi or Kole Kole , didn't mind which as long as all 3 rooms were together.

Thomson couldn't/didn't help , suggested contacting hotel

e-mailed hotel , they would sort it out on our arrival ?

hopefully all was ok

price difference between standard and deluxe if I remember was quite a lot , i'd be surprised if it was less than £150/£200 each [14days]

Boston, United...
2. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Thank you, will try to e mai them.

Ilford, United...
3. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Hi Ripple

Just to set your mind at rest re Welsh_Rarebit's comment on the "vacating" room, if as I recall you are doing the "Best of Kenya" safari you fly off to Nairobi on the day of arrival in Kenya so you will not have a room to vacate. Some safaris do start mid-week e.g. Ndogo or Taste of Kenya, in which case the room would have to be vacated

We've enquired with Baobab to upgrade on arrival there after the safari and I think the cost was something like €15 pppn but they told us to ask on arrival

Boston, United...
4. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Yes we are doing safari first. Thanks for the info though about the room upgrade. Which was my main question.

Ilford, United...
5. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Can't remember if you've already said but when in September do you go Ripple?

We'll be on the Best of Kenya from 25th Aug then at Baobab from the 1st for two weeks (with a 2nd safari excursion during the first week)

Edited: 3:04 pm, August 02, 2013
Boston, United...
6. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Were not there till 28th sept and then baobab on 5th oct. Yours is not so far away now, have a great time. Maybe you could drop a line to let us know how it went. Happy Hols.

Ilford, United...
7. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Will do, and I'll let you know about how easy the room upgrade is if we can get it.

Can't wait now, we'll be back in UK 2weeks before you go, then I'll be jealous when you go :-)

London, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Hi, I go to baobab every year and know quite alot about the place. An upgrade to a better room or wing shouldn't be a problem as October is not peak season. I would recommend and upgrade to the Maridadi wing as they have the biggest and best rooms but it would be easier to book before hand for the upgrade http://www.baobab-beach-resort.com/eng/

Boston, United...
9. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

Just a quick one. We are thinking of taking 1 suitcase between us (20kg for the baobab hotel) Then the 2 soft bags for Safar (10 kg in each) so that would be 3 sets of luggage with total weight of 40 kg. Have you done this before? do you think this would be ok. Shame were not going at the same time.

Ilford, United...
10. Re: UPgrade at Baobab

I think you should be ok Ripple although I cannot give you a definitive answer as we have only travelled with one larger suitcase for Baobab then a smaller one between us for safari plus our cabin baggage. I'm pretty certain I've seen others travel as you suggest but don't know if they had any problems at check in

A general question then to any recent Thomson travellers...if anyone has travelled with Thomson recently and gone on safari immediately on arrival at Mombasa, did you have any problems taking three hold bags between two pax

Reply to: UPgrade at Baobab
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted