We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 1
safari

We are undecided whether to book a safari to Tsavo East/West area or whether we should fly up to the Masa Mara instead. We would like to know if we got to Masa Mara how long we will be travelling by road once we get there to actually start the safari. Can anyone advise us please? We will be staying at the Baobab.

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
1. Re: safari

UkErictina,

Everywhere has it's good and bad points, and it does greatly depend on when you are traveling. Out of the Tsavos, I would always go East. I would only bother with the Mara for the Migration, but having been there many times, that is just me! I hate to muddy the waters even more, but Amboseli is also worth considering!

Hate to sound picky, but that depends on which Lodge you are in, you may well land very near your Lodge?! But, if you don't, they are never that far away, and you can always spot things on the journey to and from the airhead, keep the camera and binos handy, and think of it as a practice game drive!

Right, I am off to pack, as I depart for NBO on Monday, whichever you choose I am certain you will enjoy it, have a great time.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 45
2. Re: safari

Erictina,

I think with many lodges you start your safari straight from the plane, you actually do a game drive starting at the landing strip and ending at the lodge, we certainly did. There are lots of landing strips in the Marar so you land at the one nearest to your lodge. You can fly to several of the Mara airstrips from Ukunda, not far from your hotel

uk
3. Re: safari

thanks for the info

uk
4. Re: safari

thanks for the info we are going in september

edinburgh
reviews: 88
5. Re: safari

We always fly t o the Mara from Ukunda airstrip around 40 minutes from our hotel on the South coast.

We are greeted with a waiter serving at a table set up with fresh juices outside he camp we stay at - the Mara Fairmount and then are taken to the lodge right away to get settled.

We have done over 40 safaris to the Mara and have always been taken to the camp to be settled in to our tent.

When stopping at other camps the guests we have seen are taken to their camps straight away - you will arrive around 10.30 am and by the time you get settled it will be time for lunch - NOT TIME FOR A GAME DRIVE.

Reply to: safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted