We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cuba vs kenya

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
plymouth
reviews: 19
cuba vs kenya

hi im researching places to get married and its looking likely to be cuba but i came across kenya so i thought i would do a bit of research. They look similar in price for 2 weeks all inclusive. We are looking for great beaches/water, maybe some snorkelling, great weather, good food, friendly people and safe. Some out of hotel activities would be advantageous, we arnt looking to do safari though.

many thanks

19 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 2
1. Re: cuba vs kenya

Hello i will alway recommend Kenya because they have very beautiful beach with good 5star hotels with friendly kenyan staff and alot of activities. All the best.

Durham
reviews: 18
2. Re: cuba vs kenya

I think you may like Sri Lanka

yorkshire, uk
reviews: 4
3. Re: cuba vs kenya

I think either would be fantastic wedding/honeymoon destination. Both have very friendly people, both have good snorkeling (although Cuba might 'just' have the edge there imho?), both have lovely beaches and are about the same travel time from the UK. In choosing the right time of year either have great weather too so..... take your pick ;-)

I absolutely love both of these places for different reasons. Although we did spend time in Havana on the mainland we went to Cayo Coco which was peace and tranquility at its best, everything and everybody is just so laid back, exactly what we were looking for. Kenya is beautiful and vibrant but for me it was the safari that gave it that special something bringing it out as my personal favourite.

No matter which you decide, if you choose the right hotel i am sure you wont be disappointed.

Good luck

milton keynes
reviews: 22
4. Re: cuba vs kenya

I agree with moohoop, both great places but the safari swings it

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: cuba vs kenya

Have you considered Seychelles or Maldives ??

plymouth
reviews: 19
6. Re: cuba vs kenya

stefanilarda i have been to the maldives twice and dont plan to go again as there are so many other places to see. plus i am looking for holidays around the £1000 mark for 2 weeks all inclusive so places like the maldives arnt viable. I have to consider what my other friends/family can afford to pay in order to attend the wedding. If we could stretch in price a bit more i would go to barbados (again) or try mauritius. But like i said at the moment i think cuba is winning here and moohop...funnily enough it is cayo coco i have been mainly looking at (melia cayo coco) which looks great but have also been looking at the guardalavaca area near holguin. Thanks for the replies

shamba25
reviews: 6
7. Re: cuba vs kenya

Hi I echo moohop - having been to both countries & I love kenya, but if you are not intending to do a safari then I would choose cuba - cayo coco does have the edge over guardalavaca - But please keep Kenya on your list for next time -

London UK
reviews: 16
8. Re: cuba vs kenya

Hi, we have been to Kenya 9 times and Cuba 3. Both are fantastic countries. Varadero in Cuba is the livliest, apart from Havana, and more suitable to younger people. Guadalavaca and Cayo Cocos are much quieter, and all of the entertainment is hotel based with nothing to do outside of the hotels at all unless you opt for daytime excusions. The beaches are excellent and there is snorkelling, but Cuba is not known for great snorkelling. Cuban food is pretty good but again they are not known to excel at food.

My preference is Kenya, Diani Beach especially, which is South of Mombassa and reached via a short ferry ride from the airport. (which is an experience!). Apart from excellent all inclusive hotels, there is plenty to do outside the hotels, with many restaurants, an excellent beach bar called Ali Babas (open every evening and daytime) and bars. Its best to get a cab to these as its not really safe to just wander down the main Diani Road which is in pitch darkness, but cabs are cheap and if you book a restaurant from your hotel reception they will come and get you and return you back to your hotel. The beaches are fantastic but a lot of the hotels do not actually have sunbeds on the beach, so we try and find one that does. Beach sellers can be a bit of a pain, but they don't really worry us, I know some people are quite worried by them, but a firm NO usually does the trick. Could go on and on. Just let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Linds.

rochester
reviews: 6
9. Re: cuba vs kenya

Hi plymouthdan,

my neice had her wedding at melia in cuba,rooms okay,not flash,but you will prob get an upgrade.

Beaches are awesome,best i have seen,but the food was not very good at all,meats over cooked,food cold most of times.Havana fantastic.

My friends have been to a different part of cuba and said food was great,so perhaps it was just that hotel,hope this helps.

Chris.

London UK
reviews: 16
10. Re: cuba vs kenya

Hi Again, Melia Cayo Coco is probably the best hotel on the Island, assuming none of your party are under 18 as this is adults only. There are no bars outside the hotel but you can visit the trip hotel during the day and enjoy their AI and I think you can visit the Sol which is nearby. The food is a bit hit and miss. Everything is cooked to order by one or two chefs, so if you time in wrongly you can be standing in line for 20 minutes just for a couple of bits of fish etc. The entertainment is provided by a ballet based dance troop and nearly every evening was a ballet themed show, which got really boring especially for the men. There a nice little band in the lobby bar but unfortunately they stop them at 9.30 whilst the show is on and don't let them start again until at least 10.30 when the show finishes, which was really annoying. The beach is lovely with a restaurant for lunchtime meals. Only complaint when we were there was the beach got extremely windy (Nov) and so everyone tried to huddle around the pool which got very crowded. There are a lot of really good excursions to choose from but this will obviously bump up the price quite a bit.

There is a purpose built wedding area to one side of the pool, built up high with arches and a walkway which looks impressive. All in all a great quiet hotel, but I still think Kenya do weddings better.

Reply to: cuba vs kenya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted