We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
4 posts
Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hello,

My girlfriend and myself have just booked a 2 week holiday to kenya( very excited). We are going mid November this year, we are stopping at the Baobab hotel, diani beach and we have also paid to do the 3 night Ndogo safari. This is all a new adventure for us and any tips would be much appreciated. Anybody done the Ndogo safari? Is it any good? Can you book additional safaris while over there? Are they expensive and are they safe? Is the much to do round diani beach? Whats the weather going to be like in November as I hear its raining alot this time of year? Like I say just any handy tips for our 1st safari would be great. Thanks.........(is it November yet?........how about now???)

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi Tom like me, you sound excited already :-)

Hubby & I are staying at Baobab in Aug/sep (our 3rd visit in as many years!) but doing the Best of Kenya safari first. If you have booked the hotel & safari as a twin-centre package then having looked at the brochure again you will have a couple of nights at the hotel and then on safari yes? If I have that right then you will need to check out of the room while on safari and may not get the same room on your return (reason for this is you/Thomson have paid hotel only for the nights there, the other nights are paid for to the safari accommodations)

I've not done the Ndogo safari however we are looking to book a second mini safari during our second week; to be honest the Thomson excursion prices you are paying over the odds for them and there are plenty of regular TA commentators who will recommend other more local operators. I'm sure they the local outfits are reliable (& there are probably some you shouldn't touch with a barge pole!) however as my hubby works for Thomson we tend to book with them even though we don't have a duty to do so (it took 15 yrs before he stopped booking trips through the Thomson reps in Kos...guess we'll be retired by time he does it in Kenya!)

I hope you love the hotel as much as we do...I'll see if I can find a recent post I did for you

BRB

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k6…

Preston, United...
4 posts
3. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi Wendy, Yes were both very excited!! Thank you for taking the time to message me. To be honest we kind of new we would be paying a little over the odds booking the safari through Thomsons, but for ease and piece of mind we thought we'd go for it and book it! After looking on here I noticed we will have to leave are room but am i right in believing they have a safe room( which I hope is SAFE) for our bags? Is there things to do round diani beach? And hows the food at the baobab as some all inclusive can be 'interesting'? Also we were hoping to see a bit of real africa so how westernized is it where were stopping, is there a chance of seeing bush people? Thanks again for your help, November can't come fast enough.

Tom

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi Tom

Yes there is a room where they will hold your luggage for you :-)

The food is good, there is a large choice including live cooking stations at each service. If the tide is right (& if they are still doing it) you can can pay extra for a meal down on the beach. There are 2 a la carte restaurants too but they are not part of the AI package.

The hotel is very smart but if you want to go out for a walk during the day you will find "real" Africa, going out at night is a no no though unless on organised trip or in a taxi.

By "bush" people I guess you mean the local tribes? you will see beach boys walking along the beach in tribal wear and you may get the opportunity to stop at a village on the safari too...but be prepared for the "it doesn't cost to look but please buy" mentality, if you really don't want anything try not to show an interest in it! When going off on safari you will probably have a "loo break" (the driver will need a break as the roads leave a lot to be desired!) which will be at a curio shop with clean toilets, again don't be pressured to buy if you don't want but if you do, haggle!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi Wendy,

We have booked the same trip for Feb and also the Ndogo safari - We have done the upgrade with Thomsons for the safari and we have booked the Kole Kole wing - do you know much about this section? Is it nice? close to the pool/bars/restaurants?

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi John,

The Kole Kole is nice but as I've not stayed in either the Baobab or Maridadi wings I can't say whether the rooms are better or not, I get the feeling Baobab have the more "basic" rooms and KoleKole & Maridadi the better ones. You are free to move around the resort but each wing has it's own pool, bar and main restaurant. Have a look around on your first few days, make your mind up which appears to be better then you'll know where to head when you get back off safari :-)

Some people find the Kole Kole pool a bit noisy with Italians & I think the Maridadi is favoured by many as it might be a little quieter, however I've never had any issues with Kole Kole pool.

You will find the animation team take over the pool at times for the aqua aerobics & the water polo though but I presume they do similar in the other pools too.

If you find you like Maridadi pool/bar/restaurant then it is a little bit of a walk but nothing too horrendous

HTH but if you want to know anything else just ask :-)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Silly question - but are you given a leaflet or anything when you arrive with all the information on food times and whats in your AI package etc?

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

You get the "What's on Welcome" and if he is still the rep there when you go Andrew is very friendly & approachable and will gladly give you any info relevant at the time of your visit. That said all local alcoholic drinks & soft drinks are in the AI, international brands are paid for. The two a la carte restaurants are paid for but if I recall there is a discount for residents.

There should be a booklet/brochure in your room too that will give you details of meals times and any other services such as the Wellness Spa, laundry plus the menus for the a la carte restaurants

HTH

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

we have just got back from doing the baobab and ndogo safari, as wendy says you have to check out of your room when you go on safari and probably won't get the same room when you return, though they do lock your luggage away and you can leave any valuables/money and passports in the hotel safe in a sealed bag!

kole kole was closed when we were there as they close a section every year from mid april to mid june, we were in a superior bugalow in baobab for the first two days and a superior maridadi room when we got back, both were nice the maridadi room was bigger, and that section is quieter as well, but the hotel is superb, the food was fantastic and plenty of choice and the staff are the best I've ever come across!

we did the superior ndogo safari and really enjoyed it, as our first safari, I think the main difference between the std and superior is the lodges you stay at, otherwise they follow very similar routes and visit the same parks,

only thing I would say on any other trips is do look at TA for recommendations on local comapnys as thomsons are expensive on some trips, an example a couple we did the safari with wanted to go to haller park in mombasa and were quoted £250 by thomsons/pollmans, but did the trip with jt tours and paid £60, and did the trip in an air conditioned taxi to boot - so do shop around!

any specific questions let me know and I will answer what I can!

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Sounds like you had a great time Neil, good to hear about the Maridadi & Baobab rooms, we've stayed in Kole Kole previously but this year we're booked in to a Baobab superior but if we can we'll try to upgrade when we get there.

Thomson are definitely more expensive than local operators but I think it takes the strain out of booking (I've seen too many posts saying people haven't called back etc so I worry about plucking up the courage to do it!)

Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach