We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 th March

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leigh
15 th March

My wife and I are travelling to Diani Beach from Gatwick on the 15th March, anyone else going that day. Do you have any concerns about the kenyan elections?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: 15 th March

Fingers crossed for a peaceful election this time and then you will be able to enjoy a fabulous holiday.

However, having been caught up in the last elections, when flights were cancelled and travel advisories issued, I would be slightly worried the same thing doesn't happen again. I'm not saying it will, but IF it does you might find that you have no choice but to re-schedule.

We're all praying for peace.

Mombasa, Kenya
2. Re: 15 th March

It should be considered, good point. But over the last elections even though some commercial flights were cancelled, respective embassies organised enough flights/seats and offered all their citizens visiting Kenya to be evacuated either by contacting them directly (if they had their contact), through hotels, tour operators or through the agents. Some left, some stayed :) This is the first hand information as we handled some of this issues ourselves.

We also keep our fingers crossed and so far personally keep status quo. Yes, we are praying for peace as well! :)

3. Re: 15 th March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:55 am, February 18, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
4. Re: 15 th March

And plenty of people carried on with their safaris and beach stays, and weren't much affected.

Richard Trillo

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
5. Re: 15 th March

❝..... hope that the government has got its act together this time around❞

It isn't the government (which implies a single entity) that's the issue, the new constitution goes some way to addressing some of the issues that triggered the trouble last time, but the real issue is the people and the individual politicians and they have obviously not changed. There has already been election related violence in some areas, and the debacle of the'Primaries' last week which were chaotic, disorganised, and in many cases corrupt and lead to fights, violent incidents, demonstrations and even riots does not bode well ... and they were nomination exercises within the individual parties

The coast apart from some areas of Mombasa and some scattered areas were relatively lightly affected last time and no tourists were involved or affected (other than the odd temporary shortage). In the interim the situation at the coast has changed somewhat and some areas (not the tourist parts) of Kilifi (North Coast) and Kwale (South Coast) counties have been identified as potential hot spots this time round.

Whilst everyone is hoping for a peaceful election, virtually everyone I talk to is expecting trouble and many people here are making plans to be elsewhere over the election period.

I'm not saying this to frighten anyone, I'm reasonably confident that tourists, unless they are very unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when they are en route somewhere, will not be impacted unless any specific supply chains are affected. I'm saying it because many Kenyans in the tourist industry are answering concerns with platitudes and saying what they think people want to hear rather than giving an accurate response. I would hate for people to blythely turn up expecting everything to be fine and then get worried if trouble starts a few miles inland from their resort.

As a tourist I'm sure you will be fine in your hotel and on the beaches, in the parks and lodges on safari, and I'm sure the tour operator will use local knowledge to ensure you do not go through and potential hotspots when travelling between them.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
6. Re: 15 th March

That's a very measured response Paul - thank you.

I also know of one or two places that are closing, or slowing down and essentially not taking bookings for a couple of weeks, but that seems to be as much about allowing staff to go home in good time to vote, and get back home again (there's still no postal voting), as about fears of actual disruption.

However things pan out (and it does seem to look like it's going to go to a second round), my own sense is that there will be less shock value as events unfold, and therefore less knee-jerk reaction. And the ICC background must have acted as *some* deterrent to any deliberate scheming of a violent response – delusional participants excepted…

Richard Trillo

Edited: 7:11 am, January 27, 2013
Leigh
7. Re: 15 th March

will a standard 3 pin uk plug fitted with a 2 round pin adapter work in Kenya?

Mombasa, Kenya
8. Re: 15 th March

Kenya has the same 3 pin UK standard sockets so you do not need an adapter

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Edited: 2:09 pm, February 18, 2013
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
9. Re: 15 th March

I find there's never enough sockets in hotel rooms so take a short extension lead with sockets. If you intend charging electronics one with a surge protector is ideal.

Leigh
10. Re: 15 th March

Thanks Larissa