We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walton on Thames
reviews: 2
Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

POVERTY AND TOURISM IN KENYA

Having just returned from a wonderful holiday in Mombassa, Kenya I felt compelled to try and help these wonderful people.

The Kenyans are wonderful people and the way they live is primitive, dangerous and very humbling.

There is a BUT.....

We tipped everyone at the hotel who we could on a regular basis, we left them clothes, shoes, books and toiletries. Tips and gifts given amounted to over £250 worth!!

We loved it so much, my partner even decided it was the right place to propose......

A romantic meal for two in our resort - the newly re-opened Amani Tiwi Beach, a five course meal for 2,500 Ksh each which was fair (equivalent of around £20). The wonderfully attentive staff suggested that my partner order some champagne to 'seal the deal' which he agreed to. All rather nice so far.....

We were emotional, delighted and so pleased to have been able to have this special event in a country that so desperately needs Tourism and charity......

And then the bill came......

5,000 ksh for the food (around £40) and ....

25,000 ksh (around £220) for a bottle of standard Moët ET Chandon!!!!!!!

This is where the romance stopped, the good feelings about Kenya, the hotel and the people drained from us and we are left feeling gutted, angry, ripped off and broke!!

Naturally, it was paid as we were leaving the following morning and they were unwilling to discuss it that evening and said that if we paid it that Thomson (our travel company) would re-imburse us!!! At this time, they have not yet responded, the General Manager of the resort has said that we will not get any kind of refund and he justified the price by saying that the price they decide to charge is all based on hotel budgets!!!! When we complained to Thomson, the rep said 'You Pay or You Stay' - Helpful!

With this sort of attitude and ridiculous pricing strategy, the tourism industry will continue to decrease and what could be an absolutely wonderful hotel will be avoided (particularly as a better, more established and higher rated hotel down the road only charges. 8,500 ksh (about £70 - still a bit steep but a bit more like it!) That is the Baobab Resort.

The hotel we stayed at made a huge point to all of their 50 guests that as they have only just re-opened after a massive fire destroyed it back in 2009, all feedback, comments, praise and complaints would be hugely appreciated - so much so that they have now blocked me from their Facebook page!!!!

For anyone reading this with any comments, guidance as to how we advance our complaint, we'd be most grateful.

Please share this to everyone you know and ask them to do the same.........I need to make an example of this so we stopped getting ripped off and robbed when we decide to spend our hard earned money in other countries!!!

This whole end to what should have been a memorable and joyous occasion has left us feeling really upset:(

Tags to spread the word;- Kenya, Mombassa, Tiwi Beach, Amani Tiwi Beach Resort, Ukunda, Diani Beach, Thomson Holidays, Moet Et Chandon, Special Occasion

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
1. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

You could contact the head office of Armani if you think you we're conned? If its the same GM from old you won't get far. We had a problem when it was Travellers and he sacked a member of staff and informed us he was a good friend of the mayor!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
2. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

Why would you order champagne without checking the price on the wine list?

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 112
3. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

Road warrior, this isn't a meal between mates where you pour over the menu, this was a wonderfully romantic moment where I expect the last thing on the young mans mind was to ask how much it was. Experience has shown there is a huge mark up on champagne around the world but this price is ridiculous! You do get caught up in the moment and as the staff suggested champagne you do not want to appear like a skinflint.

As suggested by others on this topic you may suggest to the management that on this your special day you were taken advantage of, but otherwise put it down to one of life's experiences (we all have many ) and on your 25th wedding anniversary such as I celebrated this year hopefully you can laugh about it!

I still recall when we were very poor in the early 90s my hubbie and I getting a taxi cab in Greece which cost about 6 pounds, as the taxi driver sped away, his tyres squealing and the smell of rubber in the air, I quizzed him if he had given a tip..Yes he replied proudly, I gave him........ With horror I realised my hubbie had given him the best part of 30 quid which was about 2 days spends for us then. I was soooooooo mad, but its still today one of our favourite dinner party tales.......c'est la vie!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
4. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

Hi Wilsonh31 - sorry about your rather expensive honeymoon.

Is construction work still going on at the hotel ?

Did you notice it when you were stayin there ? ( was it obviously visible ?)

Walton on Thames
reviews: 2
5. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

Thanks all, Rosieandjan you've got it in one. Yes we should have confirmed pricing but never in a million years could we have ever expected to pay this price for Moët!! Evenif the manager had offered us a 50% discount - it would have gone somewhere towards helping restore our feelings!!

Stefanilarda - you can notice the construction work in all areas of hotel. Whilst major works have now been completed they are re-doing a lot of what was done as it wasn't very well thought out in the first place!!!! To be fair we have no real complaints about the hotel at all - just the general manager himself and the pricing structure.

6. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:10 pm, January 05, 2013
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 9
7. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

Back in 2003 over the Christmas period the champagne was £110 a bottle. As someone pointed out, always check the price and never take anything for granted.

Sorry you feel like you've been conned but that's Kenya for you! Hope it doesn't put you off the Country and just take it all as a learning curve.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 72
8. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

Reminds me of the time when some friends after a rather drunken night a few years ago decided to order a bottle of Champers on arriving back at Whitesands after a few hours on the town and again when they saw the bill in the morning they sobered up very quickly but when they queried the cost they management gave them a substantial reduction in the price, needless to say for the rest of the holiday they refrained from that tipple!!

9. Re: Amani Tiwi Beach - Do not order champagne unless loaded!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach