We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
reviews: 8
Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

Hi,

I will be in Diani Beach in August and will need to get to Mombasa airport for a 5.30am flight on a Saturday. We are travelling independently so do not have transport arranged.

Is it easy to travel to the airport for a flight this early? I know taxis are available, but is there a ferry involved? and if so, would it run through the night? I am guessing we need to be at the airport at least 2 or 3 hours early, it is an international flight.. would this be enough time? We fly with KLM, but the first leg is Mombasa to Nairobi, then Nairobi to Europe....

Thanks, Karen

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

I think Likoni Ferry operates 24/7 but take a 2'nd opinion.

Ask yourself, do YOU really want to catch 5.30 AM flight from MBA after crossing the Ferry ? Maybe not...

You're on holiday, why the crazy rush ?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
2. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

Hi,

I have flown Mombasa - Nairobi - Amsterdam - Newcastle with KLM / KQ lots of times. The first leg is domestic so a one hour check in is OK, queues are usually small. Flying back to Europe your bags are checked right through and you don't have to retrieve them at Nairobi, like you do on the way out.

You do have to take the ferry, it does run through the night but at a reduced frequency, between 20:00 and 02:00 its 30 minute frequency on the hour and half hour, between 02:00 and 04:00 its one an hour on the hour then from 04:00 til 05:00 its back to 30 minutes. I would err on the side of caution because there are still frequent problems with the ferries despite the introduction of two new ones built in Germany

dublin
3. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

Thank you, thats great information. I know I could ask in the hotel once we arrive, but its nice to have an idea before we go too. How long is it from Diani beach to the ferry port? Just so i can guage what ferry we would need? eg, if we left at 2am, would we get the 3am ferry, and then be at the airport by 4/4.30am? or is that cutting it a bit fine?

edinburgh
reviews: 93
4. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

You should be ok with that timing.

Normally it takes one and a half hours for us to get to the airport as we take our own transport and that is early morning both ways but not as early as you!!

I have had to do an early flight myself and the roads were not busy at that time in the early morning.

The ferry itself only takes about 5 minutes and then the route to the airport should be quick again because of the early morning start.

However that is my opinion and although it is a horrible time to leave it is the end of the holiday and I personally like to get away early - not maybe as early as you but just go rather than hang about the hotel all day.

Hope all works out.

Which hotel are you staying at?

Edited: 10:27 am, July 14, 2011
Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
5. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

Hi,

we did this last september and this year in feb to catch the first flight from Mombasa to Nairobi at 05.30. We did not have any problems.

Usually the airport opens at 4 in the morning. You will have the chance for a cup of coffee or tea or a cold drink. Also some snacks are available.

The big advantage is, that you will have no traffic. We had to wait for the ferry both times for about 10 minutes and it worked very well.

To make sure we have no problems, we left both times at 2.30 in mDiani.

Bye

Chrissy

dublin
6. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

Thank you all for your replies!

I didn't realise the ferry was only 5 minutes! But I suppose at that early time, the important thing is to actually make it to the ferry on time, as they only depart once every hour!

7. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, July 22, 2011
Edited: 5:05 am, July 22, 2011
8. Re: Get to Mombasa airport from Diani for 5.30am flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 05, 2012