We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north wales
reviews: 6
Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

Hey all, thanks for coming to view my post!

Really need some help choosing the right lodge for one night 2 day safari at Tsavo East! Will be going during the first 2 weeks of August! And want a comfortable lodge where we will see lots of the wildlife from the lodge! The more I look the more I get confused!! Thanks :)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
1. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

For just one night I would choose Voi Safari Lodge. Don't be put off by the dated décor (they are slowly updating) as the view from the terrace is to die for. There is usually an assortment of wildlife at the watering holes below and some come into the lodge gardens. The hide gets you up close and person to animals at the water but be warned the steps back up are killers!

There's also lots of different game drives around the lodge.

The entrance to Tsavo East is about 2 hours from Mombasa so you can get "spotting" in no time at all.

If its the animals and not the furnishings that are important go for Voi.

NAIROBI
2. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

Hey Haylie, i would recomend to you ASHNIL ARUBA LODGE.its new and located close to aruba dam which makes it easier for you to spot different families of wild animals.Its a very comfortable lodge.

leics
3. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

Depends on the state of the water at Ashnil - when we visited Tsavo East the Aruba dam was empty so few animals were around. Waterholes at Voi are more reliable.

Leeds
reviews: 2
4. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

We stayed at Voi and Galdessa in Feb and would recommend Galdessa any day! I don't think its as cheap as Voi but its an amazing place and experience.

The view at Voi, of the landscape and animals around the waterholes, are the only saving grace. The food and rooms leave a lot to be desired. I know you're not on safari for the rooms/beds but why stay there when you have choice of other much better places. We stayed in tented accom which were better than our room at Voi, in terms of bed, shower, etc. Seems to be more bugs around Voi too - it was the only place we suffered from mossie bites and the windows were covered in them if you turned the light on!

I think this place could offer more IF they upgraded all the rooms and other facilities. Galdessa offers much more of a wild and personal experience - you're just a (room) number at Voi as its more of a hotel than a camp or lodge.

So, it depends what your requirements are: budget, experience etc.

leics
5. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

What was the wildlife like at Galdessa?

Leeds
reviews: 2
6. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

Pretty good! Elephants across the river from our tent; a wounded-cheetah eyeing up a heard of impala and 2 giraffes (!); lions on a hill top making for good photos; an elephant walked past our tent at night - we didn't see anything but heard everything; plus so much more. There's crocodile point too not far and luggard falls where you can get out and walk if its the right time of year.

Have a look at the second cheetah pic and the giraffes on this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

(At the bottom of the very logn review!)

Edited: 5:17 pm, May 09, 2011
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
7. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

I'd second the thumbs-ups for Galdessa and a big thumbs-down for Ashnil Aruba. The Voi lodges are just too big and busy when you have such a good alternative. If you can't afford Galdessa, take a look at Satao Camp, which is very well run and the whole area full of wildlife. My sister-in-law had lions *In* the camp one evening. Very exciting place.

Richard

leics
8. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

Salt Lick looks nice too - when we were there (Oct 2009) many of the safari companies were trying to sell this rather than Tsavo East because of the drought - said there were more animals in Salt Lick.

9. Re: Please Help the Safari Virgin choose Lodge at Tsavo East

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 am, May 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach