We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bracknell, Berkshire
Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Hi, we have booked a 2 week family holiday(9 of us) for next march, and would ask if anyone can advise on whether going AI is worth the extra £420 rather than going Half board, if anyone can give us information on the price of drinks and possibly lunchtime snacks, it will give us some idea of the difference

best regards

Trevor

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
reviews: 43
1. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Better go for the AI offer if it is 47 Pound per person for 14 days. which is

3.4 pound a day if you buy a bottle of water will be around 2 pound,

just a simple snack will be around 4 pound so

the AI offer is much cheaper

Bracknell, Berkshire
2. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Slofty Hi, thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstood the cost difference, it was £420 each over 14 days that works out at £30 per day.!! cheers..Trevor

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
3. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Not being nosey, but do you eat and drink a fair bit and / or are there kids in the group? When we go with kids we always book all inc as they soon run up hotel bills with endless sodas and ice cream - with all inc they eat and drink as much as they want (or until they feel sick!).

Do they include any water sports/trip to the reef in their all inc package? It might not just be the extra food and drink that you would be paying for.

If you intend staying in and around the hotel most days and staying up until the all inc bar closes at night, then you might want to consider the extra £30 a day - not much different to one round of drinks in the UK!

Bracknell, Berkshire
4. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Tembofan, thank you for the advise, are you in a position to give prices of drinks and lunchtime snacks(e g burgers, pizzas chips etc) at the Southern Palms...thanks Trevor

Hollingworth, UK
5. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

We were faced with the same dilemma (we're going in Feb). We've opted for HB but you can always switch when you're there.

I didn't think (for three of us - incl a 4-year old) we were going to get through anything like £90 a day on food a drink.

We had the same situation in Egypt - just eat a hearty breakfast, buy drinks from the local supermarket - and spring for the odd lunch when you require it.

If you're like us - you're going to be out and about during at least half of the days anyway - so you won't be there to load up on the 'freebies'.

In my mind the AI is best for people that never leave the hotel complex, don't want to spend a penny more than the holiday cost and intend to eat and drink as much as possible (to get 'value for money')

London, United...
6. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Quote from: EmmaEdie

"In my mind the AI is best for people that never leave the hotel complex, don't want to spend a penny more than the holiday cost and intend to eat and drink as much as possible (to get 'value for money')".

You hit the nail on the head, for people that actually want to see some of Kenya half board is by far the better option.

Eating out at the local restaurants the food although slightly more expensive than the AI hotels the quality and service will be much better.

Fallen on Hard Times
reviews: 2
7. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

I pretty much agree with nic6. Our most memorable early holidays to Kenya were spent at Blue Marlin and Scorpio Villas at Malindi both were HB/FB. We ventured out of the hotel more, met local people in bars etc. When we could no longer stay at Blue Marlin we stayed at Lawfords which was AI. We found by accident or design that we did not go out of the hotel as much. Having said that from February 2000 until about 2005 we had three happy holidays a year at Mnarani Club which was, at that time, AI. We’ve stayed there since a number of times on HB and still love it.

We stayed at Southern Palms for three weeks in the ‘90s on HB and didn’t care for it that much. Certainly compared to Malindi there were far fewer places to eat and drink within reasonable walking distance of the hotel.

I’d suggest if it’s your first holiday you go Half Board.

Henley on Thames
reviews: 1
8. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

referance quote from EmmaEdie and nic6's reply:

we go all inclusive and eat out at least 4 times a week in local bars and restaurants. to go all inclusive gives you a good choice of where you want to eat. most people who stay all inclusive do not stay in the hotel all the time. certainly not on the south coast!!

we have many friends that stay on the south coast in diani and eat out all the time at ashago's, ali barba's and ther two fishes. we eat out once a week at a small restaurant by the two tusks in mombassa.

so therefore nic6, do not tar every all inclusive resident with the same brush. everybody does there own thing.

6 weeks and we are back out there :)

skippy & skippies daughter

Brinklow
reviews: 39
9. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

Hi I agree with skipman and to be honest I am offended by the comments.We are much travelled and always go all inclusive and I dont drink. Pleas be carefull with your wild accusations!!!!!!!!

Bracknell, Berkshire
10. Re: Southern Palms Half Board or AI

BrinklowSello Hi, I find you post rather confusing! Did I say something that you found offensive? and what Wild Accusations?The main reason to my question was to get some idea of food and drink prices at lunchtime, which nobody seems to have addressed.

Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach