We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling by train vs car from Budapest to Satu Mare

Which Satu Mare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Traveling by train vs car from Budapest to Satu Mare

I am traveling with my parents, (68 and 71), my cousin and my younger cousin (13) to Romania in August. Is there a train that runs from Budapest (Hungary) to Satu Mare? If so, do we purchase tickets at the station or do we have to purchase them prior to departure? Is it better to rent a car and drive from Budapest to Satu Mare? We are going to be staying 3 days in Satu Mare then back to Budapest to fly to Paris. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
1. Re: Traveling by train vs car from Budapest to Satu Mare

There isn't any direct train from Budapest to Satu Mare. You could nonetheless catch a train from Budapest to Oradea then another one from Oradea to Satu Mare; this would take about 7-8 hours in total and cost from ~€25. You can buy tickets for each leg directly at the departure stations (Budapest and Oradea) without any problems, there's no need for prior booking.

There is also at least one direct bus daily from Budapest to Satu Mare (departs 8AM, arrives ~3PM, costs €18).

Renting a car might be a good idea primarily if you plan to do some trips around Satu Mare (for instance into the Oas or Maramures regions).

Detroit, Michigan
2. Re: Traveling by train vs car from Budapest to Satu Mare

Thank you! Very helpful! Drum Bun!!

Reply to: Traveling by train vs car from Budapest to Satu Mare
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Satu Mare