We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Huay Xai

Tel Aviv, Israel
Getting to Huay Xai

Hi,

I’m going to Laos in mid-Feb for 30 days!

I plan to start with the north, the main places I want to visit:

Luang Prabang

Huay Xai - "The Gibbon Experience"

Muang Sing

Luang Nam Tha

Muang Ngoi

(And later on – I plan to go towards Vang Vieng, Vientiane and south.)

My connection flight is via Bangkok. Does it make sense to take a flight from BKK to Luang Prabang and start my journey from there, including take a boat to Huay Xai? or do you think it’s better to take a domestic flight from BKK to the north of Thailand and then cross the border to Huay Xai, and start my Laos adventure from here?

I don’t really plan to travel in Thailand, it’s only a connection point in this trip, so my considerations are about time, cost and ease of arrival.

Thanks!

lewes uk
reviews: 121
1. Re: Getting to Huay Xai

Hi,

I think it would be quicker, and cheaper, to fly to Chiang Rai. Then take the 2.5 hour bus ride to the new Friendship bridge crossing 10km south of Chiang Khong and you'll be in Huay Xai. Then you could do the Gibbon, back to HX for the boat down to Luang Prabang.

Otherwise, fly to Luang Prabang, take the two day boat ride to Huay Xai, do the Gibbon and then use buses back via Luang Namtha, Oudom Xai, Muang Noi, etc.

Cheers

Tel Aviv, Israel
2. Re: Getting to Huay Xai

Thanks!

3. Re: Getting to Huay Xai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 16, 2015