We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Michael's Mount Causeway

Which Marazion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, United...
reviews: 22
St Michael's Mount Causeway

I am looking at visiting SMM during the week commencing Mon 19 May 14. I have a disabled Mother who is in a wheelchair, I have a few question I need answering please.

1. Is taking a wheelchair across the causway feasable?

2. If not, can disabled persons use the ferry?

3. When on the island, is it to steep for wheelchairs? is there good access for the wheelchairs?

4. Can anyone tell me the tide times for that week.

Any information will be greatly recieved.

4 replies to this topic
East Coast
1. Re: St Michael's Mount Causeway

It may be possible to get your mother over to the island, but unfortunately the path up to the castle itself is too steep & uneven to allow wheelchair access. See this page on the official St Michael's Mount website for more information regarding accessibility:

stmichaelsmount.co.uk/plan-your-visit/access/

It's probably best to phone or email in advance to discuss your particular situation and needs.

Christchurch
reviews: 5
2. Re: St Michael's Mount Causeway

I would not recommend taking a wheelchair over the causeway as it would be quite a rough and uncomfortable ride for the occupant and very hard work for the person pushing the chair.

According to the website listed above there is a mobility scooter available for hire which needs to be booked. Access will still be very limited however due to the steps.

If the disabled person is anything like my father who has painful knees then getting in and out of a boat will be a huge challenge, if not impossible.

Wigan, United...
3. Re: St Michael's Mount Causeway

Thank you Foxy, It's my elderly Mother, she also has bad knees. Looks like we will be taking the view from the pub on the mainland.

Edited: 10:02 pm, May 12, 2014
Wigan, United...
4. Re: St Michael's Mount Causeway

Thanks Jack, The page has answered all my questions.

Reply to: St Michael's Mount Causeway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marazion