We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Penang
reviews: 2
Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Hello we are flying into Medan tomorrow (18th Feb) and spending a night in Medan then want to catch the 'tourist' bus to Bukit Medan - does anyone know how much this is ? and where can we book it from ?

Also can anyone recommend some cheap good accommodation - around 250,000 - 300,000 for a double room with western toilet and shower ?

We have until 27th Feb then we our visa runs out so will have to go to Malaysia - any recommendations where we should also go from BL for a few days before we return to Medan?

Many thanks

Ann and John

Australia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Hi Ann and John,

Recommendations for accomodation in Bukit Lawang is Jungle Inn at that price.

Did you know that you can extend your visa by another 30 days if you have an indonesian contact with a current ID card for 250,000 rupiah.

If you wish to stay longer I would try to extend your visa in Medan before you go to Bukit Lawang.

I am sure one of the guesthouses in Medan like Blue Angerl would be able to be your sponsor to extend your visa.

www.sumatra-indonesia.com/blueangel.htm

In regards to a tourist bus to Bukit Lawang I think they leave from near Blue Angel.

I have given you their details above.

I am sending you guys a private message.

Pamela.

Penang
2. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Hello

Just thought i would update as we have just got back from 5 nights in Bukit Lawang and loved every minute of it - we did go to the Jungle Inn and the 2 top rooms there are amazing but they were too expensive for us at 450,000 a night so we walked about 1 minute down the river and stayed at Jungle Trip which only has 2 rooms which are directly on the river with the balconys facing the river and the jungle - even spotted an orangutan from our balcony on the second day we were there - i would recommend this place 100% lovely bright rooms and the restaurant is really great and the staff so friendly - only a 2 min walk to the canoe that you get over to the feeding station and also Darwin who runs the place is also a guide - but we found that out too late and had already been grabbed by someone else !

We go there by public bus from Medan which cost us 25,000 each but think we were charged too much as i think it should only be 14,000 each and drops you 1km out of Bukit Lawang and a bekak is about 5000 each to get to the town - then there is the walk along the river - but worth going further up the river as you are more likely to see orangutans - but getting back to Medan we got private transport for 60,000 each but this drops you directly where you want to go so no more taxi fares when you get to Medan - cheaper for us than getting the public bus back !

I would 100% recommend a trip to Bukit Lawang

Australia
3. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Hi Ann and John,

Do you mean Jungle Tribe in your post above?

Because Jungle Tribe has a restaurant.

See review below.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g680012-d177334…

Pamela

Penang
4. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Yes sorry i did mean Jungle Tribe - it has 2 rooms and a restaurant

http://jungletribesumatra.com/

Australia
5. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Hi,

Oh thank you very much for the reply.

Pamela.

Tweed Heads...
reviews: 47
6. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Hi there Farrasontour

Thanks so much for sharing your experience :-)

It's great to hear from someone who has recently been to the area. We are off to Sumatra next week and will be spending a couple of nights in Bukit Lawang. A positive report from you is making me excited about out trip!!

Thank you.

Tweed Heads...
reviews: 47
7. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

Oh, and the photo of the monkey on the Jungle Tribe web page is amazing. It would make my trip worthwhile if I could get a couple of shots like that!! Thanks for posting the link.

Penang
8. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

you will have a totally amazing time - enjoy - and you will get loads of photos of orangutans and monkeys !!! If you need a guide i would recommend Darwin from Jungle Tribe he is very sensitive to the environment, it was a shame that we did not know he was a guide before we bookd our guide - i have also added some photos to the review of the jungle tribe on trip advisor

9. Re: Medan to BL and Accommodation in Bukit Lawang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, October 12, 2012