We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riviera Nayarit or Riviera Maya?

Which Riviera Nayarit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 19
Riviera Nayarit or Riviera Maya?

My GF and I are planning our first trip to Mexico this June/July. We are in our 20's. We recently traveled to Negril, JA and absolutely loved it, but would like to try something new. Have been doing a lot of research and have can't seem to make up my mind!

So, here's the question: Riviera Maya, or Riviera Nayarit? We are going to stay at an AI, but don't want to be tied to the compound and plan on venturing out to explore the areas - we like cool, neat towns with good restaurants and nightlife. Additionally, we like nice beaches and want a good crowd. We certainly don't want an over americanized tourist experience whatsover.

So, what does everyone think? Pros and Cons of each? Recommendations for places to stay? Weather?

Thanks for the help!

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
reviews: 2
1. Re: Riviera Nayarit or Riviera Maya?

Either place you decide to visit will be hot,humid and the start of hurricane season...

R Maya would have more European tourists than R Nayarit...

The beaches of the Caribbean are so much nicer than the Pacific side...

R Nayarit has many small beach towns but during the summer months many bars and restaurants close for the season...

You should do more research on Puerto Morelos, just south of Cancun...enjoy

San Jose, California
2. Re: Riviera Nayarit or Riviera Maya?

Riviera Maya! not that i don't like the Riviera Nayarit, but there are more things to do at the Riviera Maya, the beaches are gorgeous and you can visit the ruins

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
3. Re: Riviera Nayarit or Riviera Maya?

If you want some stunning beaches/water - I would head to Riviera Maya! Much better snorkeling/diving opportunities - and if you are feeling really adventurous, summer is when the whale sharks migrate thru and you can snorkel with them. As well, there are all the Mayan ruins - you have many to choose from. Check out www.cancunmap.com - has a good info of what area may suit you best and maps that are more like guidebooks - will be a big help in planning a great vacation. The Yucatan region is also a very safe area to travel to - no need to worry about leaving a compound or anything like that. Also, check out www.locogringo.com - another good site. Have fun! :)

4. Re: Riviera Nayarit or Riviera Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 15, 2014