We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

Which Mwanza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodland Park...
Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

My husband and I are traveling to Tanzania in Feb, 2014. WE travel with backpacks, (very low budget) tho at our age, we are not camping anymore. My husband is a fly fishing guide, so needless to say, if anyone has any suggestions in the way of fishing, Robert would love that! We stay in hostels and the like. We arrive Dar es Salaam, fly to Mwanza and then bus to Kigoma, lake taxi to Gombe for the Jane Goodall Institute. (about a weeks time) After that, we plan to make our way back to the Mwanza area, Lake VIctoria, possibly a border crossing into Rwanda or Burundi, or Uganda...I've read about the ferry on Lake Victoria, sounds like a must do. AM looking for other non-typical experiences...We will have 2 weeks to experience the northeast / serengeti / ngorongoro / arusha areas. We would really like to immerge ourselves into the culture. DOes anyone have suggestions as to places to see and visit in the north eastern area? What about going into Rwanda? Or Uganda, or even the Republic of Congo....ANy input as to the border crossings into these areas? We do plan to do the safari in Ngornogoro Crater and the Serengeti....just need to find super cheap hostels/camps....and then do the day trips into the parks. Just can't afford the rates inside the parks. I had also read about a couple who ended up visiting a church, stating that the choirs were amazing....we are not so much of a church going couple, but the culture and the people are why we are going. Any suggestions, ideas, advice would be much appreciated.

Warm regards, teresa

10 replies to this topic
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
1. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

Do you have the Rough Guide it caters for travel similar to yours or the Bradt Guide will also help.

Both of these combined will answer many of your questions.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 93
2. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

Also, are you sure you mean North eastern? That would put you heading to Tanga on the east coast. Mwanza and Lake Victoria are north western Tanzania....unless you mean something northeastern to a reference I can't recognize.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
3. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

Border crossings into Rwanda and Uganda are straightforward. Bukoba may be of interest to you especially if docking there from the Mwanza ferry. (sleep 1st class on that). I would stay clear of DRC at the moment although folks do cross Ok mostly.

There is also a very historic ferry plying Tanganyika that you may care to use.

Camping. For Serengeti you could look at Serengeti Stopover which is very reasonable. About 1km from Ndabaka Gate. They also will run trips into the western Serengeti for you. then cross NP by bus and maybe try to camp around Seronera.

Woodland Park...
4. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

I dont. I purchased Lonely Planet. Thank you...I will look into the Bradt and Rough guide.

Woodland Park...
5. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

Oops....my bad.....I am referring to the mwanza/lake victoria area.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
6. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

The Lonely Planet has a lot of out dated material the others are far better.

Chicago
reviews: 4
7. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

For the cultural aspect, check out tanzaniacultural.com. There are many unique tribes there. There is a great book titled The Ways of the Tribe available online and in Arusha bookstores that has good information on the people. Stop at Maasai villages, take cultural tours, visit weekly or monthly marketplaces, visit schools or orphanages, and just watch real life out the window of your vehicle as you pass by.

Sydney
reviews: 6
8. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

Rwanda is beautiful and very safe. You can see the genocide museum and the gorillas and heaps of other animal experiences. Burundi is also safe though not a lot to do there and all services are quite rudimentary. DRC is safe in some areas, You can cross into DRC from Burundi at Uvira. I went along to Baraka and beyond though this may be too adventurous for you. You can also take a ferry across from Kigoma. At Uvira you can turn right and drive to Bukavu around 3-4hrs away on a rough road all in the DRC or more comfortable and quicker you can cut back into Rwanda and onto a good road to Bukavu. Not so easy to arrange transport though. Best bet is to travel via Rwanda. Bukavu is safe and if super adventurous you can travel for around 6-8 hours out of town to see the gorillas and park. Arrange permits in Bukavu, bit expensive but no major issues. Nothing else to see in Bukavu. Lots of UN and military. Be careful when taking photos as you will not know what is ok and not. Some sensitive military installations and nervous intelligence/police officers. Goma is not safe atm. Just inside Goma is an amazing live volcano (Nyiragongo which is amazing and fantastic adventure and then there is the gorillas). I have just been to all these locations.

Mwanza, Tanzania
9. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

For budget people like you its better to contact http://www.pumzikacampsite.com they are just 700 metres to Ndabaka gate (The Main Western Entrance Gate) in the western corridor of serengeti as its your best route from Mwanza. Those guys do excellent safari especially to budget people like you. They basically do hostel and camping safaris as their main focus is budget safari. Their safari include game drives in Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Manyara, Rubondo as well as cultural activities like traditional canoeing in the Lake Victoria, Boat Fishing and traditional dances of the Tanzania Lake zone tribes like sukuma and kuria dances.

These guys are also good in organizing public transport which is affordable for budget people like you. They also work together with Pearl Africa tour company in Uganda especially to those who want to go for Gorilla trekking and Ugandan cultural safari.

Edited: 4:29 am, November 25, 2013
Victoria, Canada
10. Re: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha

Hello - we will be travelling fro Kisumu to Mwanza in mid- May. Has anyone made the trip recently? Any information or advice? In addition, we are planning on a safari from Mwanza to the Serengeti and Ngorogoro Crater. I am finding it difficult to find websites for safari providers. So far, I have found Masumin and Serengeti Sange? Has anyone used these companies for safari?

Thanks, Meg

Reply to: Feb 2014 Gombe, Mwanza, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, Arusha
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted