We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A change is as good as a rest......

Which Sidari hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton
Destination Expert
for Sidari
reviews: 55
A change is as good as a rest......

As you ta's will know doubt be aware we have been visiting Sidari for 13 years. Our plan was to return 2014 with family in July but.............. having looked at the Dick Turpin prices they are asking for school holidays (not my favourite time to visit!!!) along with the fact that this recent visit made me feel like I had a touch of cabin fever (yes I know before you even say it!!!) I have decided I may give Sidari a miss next year. Hubby may however visit with brother in law and meet up with some friends for a week and so he can spend some time with his koumbaros (best man) - but I have decided that I need to give Sidari a break so I can discover somewhere different - so I have decided I would like to visit Majorca and re-affirm my previous love of holidays in spain and in particular the balearic islands having visited Ibiza a few times previous. It is with heavy heart that I have made this decision but to be honest I feel I need to give the island a break so I can explore and so I can fall in love with it when I return in 2015 which is when I am looking to return.

I will still be here as much as I can to help any newbies visiting the island next season and if my Hubby decides to visit for a week then he can be my eyes and ears whilst there.

I know some of you will be surprised to hear that I have no desire to return in 2014 but I felt like this visit was such an anti climax and even though again we got out and about and hired the quad bike to visit other villages (and get lost along the way too!!) I just sensed that it had all just become too familiar and I felt I needed to see different things and have a complete change of scenery. Believe me I am as surprised as no doubt you lot are but that was how the visit left me feeling this September, which is a first.

I will leave next year's countdown responsibility to Fibill which she will no doubt start after New year xx

Michelle x

Edited: 8:41 am, September 25, 2013
32 replies to this topic
Norwich, United...
reviews: 3
1. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Sorry to hear that you won't be back in Sidari next year, Michelle.........but I fully understand your reasoning.

Wherever you choose to go, I'm sure you'll have a hoot! You're that kind of person! Many thanks for all the help and tips you have provided so far. Look forward to hearing that you'll be back in 2015!

Sidari
Destination Expert
for Corfu
2. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Majorca hey///////got to train those mozzies to fly long distance now.........and I really thought I could pension them off

have fun planning yout trip, but on arrival... watch the sky....................

Bolton
Destination Expert
for Sidari
3. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

haha thanks guys - I am not deserting the island I love I just feel that it has become far too familiar for me now. The visit in September seemed to confirm my fears that it has grown too familiar and the fact that I was happy to leave obviously cemented my decision that I need a break from the Island at least for a year so I can visit other places on my list..........

I want to feel the excitement again of visiting a new and unfamiliar place and not to have the anti climax I had when I arrived in Corfu last Friday!!! I want to get the excited feeling back when I land at Corfu Airport and visit Sidari again and I feel that If I leave a visit for at least a year then I will be able to rediscover my love for the Island again.

Thanks for your understanding xxx

reviews: 11
4. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Hi we had the same problem by going to Spain for 20 years knew it with our eyes shut and we had that anti-climax last year we loved Sidari this year but have booked for Paleo for 2014 so we don't fall into the same trap again Pete

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
reviews: 13
5. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Hi Michelle......

Sorry to hear that you won't be going to Sidari next year, but I do understand your reasoning, Majorca is a lovely island too, especially the north part..and you have to do what you feel is best for you and the family.

I have not been going to Sidari as long as you, so for me...I love it!.... and still find new things to do - the Greek way of life and the people. For me, Corfu holds a magical charm, whether it be the north of the island or anywhere on the island.

I know you will continue to share your wealth of information with the forum xx

Enjoy your sabbatical....I will tell Moonpig that I have devised long range 'fuel' tanks for her 'mozzies-in-training' from Corfu.....!

Fi xxx

Edited: 5:38 am, September 26, 2013
Bolton
Destination Expert
for Sidari
6. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

thanks guys for your support x yes Pete I am glad you can see where I am coming from. Everything becomes too familiar and the rush of excitement which to be honest has always been with me, seemed to have deserted me this time. some days felt like groundhog day to be honest, not the feeling I want on holiday x

Thanks Fi I will leave the next Sidari countdown in your capable hands xxx although if Hubby decides to visit next May to see his best man then I will add him to the countdown haha.......

7. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Michelle , we say the same every year ! Didn't even plan going at all this year but as you know we return for our 2nd time this year in a few weeks.

Get Xmas and new year out the way then see how you feel ..... The sidari bug never leaves you ! X

Edited: 4:15 pm, September 26, 2013
Bolton
Destination Expert
for Sidari
8. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Haha I know lee but this time was a first for me feeling happy to come home to be honest. Hubby said the same leave it and let's get the year out of the way first before we decide properly x if I still feel the need for a change then he is happy to visit elsewhere x just glad sister has managed to find a good deal for her lot in july for the school holidays x not her preferred place to stay but closer to resort and strip which would probably be ideal having two teenage girls in tow!!!!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Waterford, Dunmore East
reviews: 104
9. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Hi Michelle,

You are right to take a break & fall in love all over again in 2015. Majorca is lovely too,we especially loved Cala Dor,it is a lovely resort,has a touch of Greece about it.

Puerto Soller is supposed to be fab & Puerto Pollensa gets good reviews. Wherever you decide,happy planning.Great excitement when trying somewhere new.

Thanks for all your help when we were planning our trip to Sidari this year,your information/tips were a great help.

Mary xx

birmingham
reviews: 13
10. Re: A change is as good as a rest......

Hi Michelle,

Can fully understand where you are coming from. Before going to Sidari twice this year we had been to the same resort in Spain 20 times in 10 years whilst in that time only going somewhere different 3 times. Last time we went it had just gotten to the stage where we felt like we were living the same holiday over and over and one holiday memory had blurred into another.

As you know we had a 14 year gap between our first visit to Sidari and our second vist in May this year and fell in love with the place and went back in August and are booked up to go again next July. We are wary of kicking the backside out of it though and falling into the same trap of becoming too familiar with the place and losing that buzz/excitement.

Enjoy experiencing pastures new. I am 100% certain though that Sidari will be calling you back before too long and you can experience the buzz once again. I reckon once bitten by the Sidari bug it will always have a part of you :-)

All the best

Mark

Edited: 3:36 pm, September 27, 2013
Reply to: A change is as good as a rest......
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sidari