We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily Itinerary

Which Scicli hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 1
Sicily Itinerary

Thanks again Vagabonda for all the coaching!

Here's my draft itinerary - comments welcome.

Itinerary Outline

3 Oct Wed Depart Seattle 06:30 to Rome via Atlanta

4 Oct Thu Arrive Rome 07:30 – Depart Rome 09:05 Arrive PMO 10:30 am (bus from airport to Hotel Girabaldi 3 nites)

5 Oct Fri Palermo

6 Oct Sat Palermo

7 Oct Sun Depart Palermo to Cefalu (via train) – lodging at La Plumeria (2 nights in Cefalu)

8 Oct Mon Cefalu

9 Oct Tue Pick up rental car Travel from Cefalu to Taormina (130 mi/213 km) overnight in Taorimina

10 Oct Wed Travel Taormina to Siricusa (67 mi/111 km) (3 nights in Siracusa)

11 Oct Thu Siracusa

12 Oct Fri Siracusa

13 Oct Sat Travel Siracusa to Agrigento (132 mi/220 km) (2 nights in Agrigento)

14 Oct Sun Agrigento

15 Oct Mon Travel Agrigento to Trapani (108 mi/180 km) (1 night in Trapani)

16 Oct Tue Travel Trapani to Castellammare (2 nights is Castellammare)

17 Oct Wed Castellammare

18 Oct Thu Travel Castellammare to PMO – drop off rental car – depart 8:10 am Alitalia

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Ciao D B – Glad to have shared in your planning!

Allocate half a day during your time in Palermo to visit Monreale.

Cefalù is really compact, so you’ve probably allocated a little too much time in Cefalù in October, especially if the weather doesn’t cooperate. If the weather is nice weather and you could spend time on the beach, you wouldn’t mind the extra time.

This earlier thread discusses what to see along the coast between Cefalù and Taormina – Tindari is especially worth a stop, although you don’t have much time slotted for Taormina. You might consider taking a night from Cefalù and adding a night to Taormina.

Taormina to Cefalu':

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3127…

Do you expect to make any stops along the way between Siracusa and Agrigento?

If not, one night would suffice in Agrigento. Only spend two nights in Agrigento if you were to arrive in Agrigento at night from Siracusa. You might appreciate using this "extra" night between Agrigento and Trapani (Sciacca, Selinunte....), so you could take your time along this coast (SS115) and see the Scala dei Turchi, Eraclea Minoa, Sciacca, Selinunte....

There’s no need to spend the single night in Trapani, especially when passing Castellammare del Golfo along the way, and especially when Castellammare del Golfo will beyour base for the following two nights. Base all three nights in Castellammare del Golfo and strike out for Trapani from there.

Like Trapani, Castellammare del Golfo is low on sights and not a destination point in and of itself, so you wouldn’t need an entire day on 17 October for Castellammare del Golfo. You might day trip to Scopello and trek Lo Zingaro, visit Segesta and Erice, visit a winery, and if you didn’t see Selinunte on your way from Agrigento, even Selinunte would be a possibility.

The best -

Vagabonda

Seattle
2. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Vagabonda, once again you work your magic!

I will revist my proposed itinerary with your suggestions in mind and I may have a few more questions along the way.

By taking the train from Palermo to Cefalu, I will avoid backtracking to PMO to rent a car. Then I found out the car rental offices in Cefalu are not open on Sunday. A one-night stay is still an option for departing Monday AM.

DB

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
3. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Grazie D B!

If you plan to backtrack to Palermo’s airport to hire the car, have you considered reversing your itinerary and beginning in Western Sicily and ending in Palermo?

With an October arrival, you would easily have time to make the change....

Vagabonda

Seattle
4. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Yes, that was my original plan before I learned about renting a car in one location (eg Cefalu) and returning it in another (eg POM) without a drop charge.

Also, I thought Palermo would be the most hectic and I would rather do that in the beginning of the trip and finish with some place more relaxing that would allow us to drive to airport for our 8 AM flight to Rome.

I go back and forth on this itinerary. The only thing that I cannot change are my flights.

Thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Hi D B,

Airports are the only locations to hire a car on a Sunday.

Since you prefer to begin with hectic Palermo and end in a more relaxing location, you could either hire the car at the airport on the Sunday, or hire the car in Cefalù on the Monday.

If hiring the car at the airport provides the sequence and route you prefer, it’s not horrible to absorb a one-time two hour drive, and the silver lining is that Sunday is the best day of the week to drive Palermo’s ring road.

It’s a good itinerary!

Vagabonda

Seattle
6. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Good idea Vaga - the options seem endless.

With your earlier comments in mind, I'm now trying to think of three or four strategic "base camps" around the island where we could pursue day trips.

Also, wht do you think of Syracuse (Ortigia) as a good spot for a 3 nite stay for exploring SE Sicily?

db

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
7. Re: Sicily Itinerary

You could easily base in 3-4 areas and strike out on day trips to see the sites.

You would enjoy many options from bases all around Sicily - Taormina, Siracusa, or Catania in Eastern Sicily; Trapani, Castellammare del Golfo, or Selinunte in Western Sicily; and also around Palermo, Cefalù, Agrigento, or Ragusa.

Siracusa-Ortigia is a very good spot for a 3-night stay for exploring Southeastern Sicily!!

Vagabonda

Seattle
8. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Here's my lastest version.

Let me know what you think.

10/04 Thu Arrive Palermo (PMO) 10:30 AM/Bus transport to Politema Square

Check in Hotel Garibaldi (3 nites)/Palermo sightseeing (Monreale?)

10/05 Fri Palermo Sightseeing (City Tours)

10/06 Sat Palermo sightseeing (Cefalu?)

10/07 Sun Bus to Palermo airport/Pick up rental car/Drive to Selinute (stay 3 nites)

10/08 Mon Selinute day trips (Marsala/Segesta)

10/09 Tue Selinute day trips (Trapani/Erice)

10/10 Wed Selinute to Siracusa Possible stop in Agrigento/Siracusa (4 nites)

10/11 Thu Siracusa sightseeing(Ortiga)

10/12 Fri Siracusa day trip (Ragusa/Noto/Modica)

10/13 Sat SIracusa day trip (Catania/Taormina)

10/14 Sun Siracusa to Enna (1 nite) Stop in Piazza Armerina

10/15 Mon Enna to Sciacca (1 nite) Possible stop in Caltanissetta

10/16 Tue Sciacca to Castellamare del Golfo (2 nites)

10/17 Wed Day trip (Alcamo/Zingaro/Erice)

10/18 Thu Castellamare to PMO airport to return rental car

Alitalia #1776 Depart PMO – 8:10 AM

Seattle
9. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Any thoughts/comments on my updated itinerary?

Thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
10. Re: Sicily Itinerary

Hi D B,

You might rework sections of this itinerary for greater efficiency – There’s no need to double back to Sciacca and Caltanissetta from Eastern Sicily. It’s just not efficient use of time to return to Sciacca and Caltanissetta.

See Erice, Segesta, Trapani, Lo Zingaro, and Alcamo during your time in Castellammare del Golfo.

Visit Selinunte, Cave di CUSA, and Marsala during your time in Selinunte - Approach Marsala from the south.

Absolutely see Agrigento’s Valley of the Temples!!

Avoid the SS640 between Agrigento and Caltanissetta.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5365…

You might feel rushed with Noto, Modica, and Ragusa all in one day – You could select two towns, and avoid feeling rushed, and also mitigate “baroque-fatigue”.

Since Noto is near Siracusa, you could visit Noto at sunset after exploring Ortigia during the day. Then you could see Modica and Ragusa the following day.

Avoid driving in Catania, so park at the airport and take the bus from the airport to Catania, or visit Catania by train or bus from Siracusa.

Drive the A19 from Enna – Arrive at Palermo’s ring road during the mid-day closing.

Regards,

Vagabonda

Get answers to your questions about Scicli
Recent Conversations