We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Picton, NSW
reviews: 33
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

Hi There, I read a recent review on this hotel that there was a sign saying warning of serious stings from the sea urchins in the lagoon (I am assuming this is the ocean?)

Is this true that the ocean is not that safe to swim in on this part of Chaweng beach?

The review did also say "I think further up the beach (where the lagoon finished) there was no such restrictions"

I am looking at staying here at the start of May next year.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 53
1. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

Hi

The beach out the front of chaweng regent or around that area ( north of chaweng beach) are bit of rocky, lagoon like and shallower water. For a decent swims you have to wade out so far ( past the rock that form lagoon) into the ocean.

Best to look where down south of chaweng or in Cheonmon or chaweng noi beach of you want to have good beach and can swims right out the front of the resort.

Cheers,

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

The best area to swim in May is from the Samui Paradise down to the Banan Fan resort, the beach area after this is rocky and not that nice, maybe the Banana Fan would be a better alternative and it should be about the same price.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
reviews: 62
3. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

hi guys

may is low tides on samui so the lagoon can be very shallow at times

better swimming in maenam

may sees a change in wind direction and chaweng can have wind and waves coming onto the beach

but what exact day the wind changes is a guess

cheers

DC

New Zealand
reviews: 10
4. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

Look for resorts from Baan Chaweng south as anything north of Baan Chaweng is either in a stagnant lagoon or rocky and not suitable for swimming. The area from Baan Chaweng to Banana Fan is not rocky.

Picton, NSW
5. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

Wow that's great thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I will change hotels

New Zealand
reviews: 21
6. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

The regent is a lovely hotel but yes the sea is vey low there. Not suitable for swimming at all for us but only a 5 min walk until you can.

The location of the hotel and the great pool are a plus.

Chrella "the beach after banana fan to baan chaweng" has got rocks or not been that nice??

Not that I have seen in 10 years. Just a little bit busier.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
7. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

I have to say I'm with Thai music never seen any rocks in that area but it is definitely busier than south chaweng.

To Nomes_sydney if you want to be in the busy area perhaps checkout Baan chaweng beach resort, Baan Samui, chaweng buri and B2 Samui. Or if you want quieter then go towards south chaweng then banana fans sea resort, synergy beach and Centara grande beach resort.

Cheers,

Canberra
reviews: 10
8. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

In June the sand/waters edge all along the northern lagoon area was green with seawead/algae for 2-3 metres at low tide, it looked very unpleasant. It was all clean after the end of the lagoon going south.

Picton, NSW
9. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

After adjusting my budget & location I am thinking of staying at the Baan Chaweng Beach Resort or even possibly Le Murraya Boutique Serviced Residence & Resort if I don't stay on the beach. Any thoughts on these.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
10. Re: Chaweng Regent Beach Resort - Swimming in the ocean/lagoon

I'd go with Baan chaweng. Beach front and they have a very good reviews !!!