We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 2
ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already..

Was just curious what everyones preffered method of £$£ was? I normally only take small amount of currency then use the local ATM`s where evr I`m at,I`m guessing this is the best option for Koh too?

Never bn to Thailand, going next Sunday on Honeymoon

Thanks for any advice

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
1. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

Hi David and Congratulations,

A useful link to read:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

I always take my ATM card and cash as backup just in case. Anyway, ATM's are to be found everywhere, no issues whatsoever in obtaining Thai baht.

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
2. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

All the information you will need is in the FAQ on the right "CURRENCY Options".

Avoid changing any currency in UK. If you are flying via Bangkok, you can change at the airport in a kiosk on the way from the gate or near the luggage carousel. Cash is best rate; ATMs are most convenient but now most expensive as you are charged by your own bank and 150 baht per withdrawal by the Thai bank; Travellers Cheques are safest and only incur a conversion charge of 33 baht per cheque; credit card is a "No No" for cash under anything but the most dire emergency. Don't forget to notify your card issuer(s) that you will be away so they don't put a stop on your card.

Have a great honeymoon.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 41
3. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

Hi

Congrats for our up coming honey moon :)

We always bring cash as well as travel cheque and credit card as back up. I preferred travel cheques as its safe if lost or stollen can be replace easily and its saved on fee much better than using card to get money out from ATM which readily throughout Thailand. In koh Samui there are bank booths every where some of them open from either 08.00-20.00 or 10.00-24.00 or you can just change in the bank ( business hours). As stated by arandora if using ATM every time you're withdrawing money you will be charge 150baht per transaction plus your bank fee and charges. Travel cheque you will be charge govt fee of 33baht per cheque.

Good luck

Gold Coast
reviews: 33
4. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

As mentioned there are lots of options. Check them all out and then make you decision. Have never used ATMs but have had cards as a back up. We take cash with us.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 157
5. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

Hi

As Arandora says the FAQs gives some good advice.

We normally take some GB£ in cash to change when we get to Thailand, but we use ATMs to withdraw cash as we go. Also credit card for hotel or larger bills. We have not had any issuss, and works for us dispite the fees, which we ensure we maximise and withdraw the max amount at anyone time. We always tell our banks!

Enjoy you honeymoon!

Mansfield
reviews: 11
6. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

My favoured option..cash in sterling, change a little at BKK airport about enough to last 1 day.. backed up by credit card to pay that large hotel bar bill at the end :)

Have a memorable honeymoon

Aberdeen, United...
7. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

Thanks very much for all ur advice, and ur congratulations. We`r both soo excited, always wanted to visit here, although it`s been out of price range.

Anyway, much appreciated advice, I think I`ll take some sterling and then maximise ATM`s after that.

Thanks again

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
reviews: 45
8. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

hi guys

on samui

cash is king

[credit cards often incur penalties for using them ]

bring them for a back up in emergency

you normally get a much better exchange here on samui than your home land

there are many[hundreds] of ATMs on samui just check what your personal bank charges are as they differ from bank to bank

also be aware that in thailand 20,000 baht is about the average allowance to withdraw at one time from the ATM

so if you need say 60,000 baht

you will need to do 3 withdrawls

have a great time and cheers

Dean cleeton

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ko Tao
reviews: 35
9. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

I'm alwais for ATM. Everywhere!

Hi!

Aberdeen, United...
10. Re: ATM`s, traveller`s cheques or cash...

Thanks Samuitongson. Glad to hear about the millions of cash machines, It`s always been my preffered method. I think I`ll tak some sterling also, just incase. 20,000 Bhat (£400?) is plenty for a single withdrawl, thanks for the info

Cheers