We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Report - Sep 2010

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
reviews: 13
JBR Report - Sep 2010

Here goes - just returned from 8 nights at Buri Rasa in South Chaweng. Have written a review on the hotel so won't bore you all with repetition. We mostly spent our days sunning and swimming, so sorry if the following is too long and isn't as informative as I would have liked.

We ate at Ninja's alot - basic, great value and tasty when you asked for it a spicy. Long table a couple of times - try the whole fried fish. Chilli's once, good drink specials but the food was a bit bland and the seafood overcooked. Baci once when we were all Thai'd out, big serving sizes, v. good pizza and the crab pasta was delicious. Eat Sense once - was the most disappointing meal, most likely because we had high expectations based on the prices - beautiful location and romantic but the food was just a bit average. The Cliff for lunch, bit pricy but so worth it - amazing views, great food and good serving sizes. Betelnut at Buri Rasa - easily the best meal we had all trip, something different, innovative and delicious.

Went snorkelling to Koh Tao with 100 degrees east (Mango Bay and Koh Nang Yuang) which was amazing - they took us to fantastic locations at times when they weren't crowded - we were lucky enough to see a turtle. Imho, the additional cost compared to larger outfits like Petcherat and Blue Stars was worth it - the whole trip was very genial, only ten people on the boat and very unhurried.

Took a cooking lesson at Sitca (had done one previously) and enjoyed it just as much as before. I liked that we prepared everything for the meal beforehand and then cooked it all together as you would a dinner party. There was plenty of food for two and my husband came to join me in their dining room upstairs. Delicious meal for two offset the cost of the lesson which was cool and the notes and CD are quite comprehensive. Wasn't that keen to go to the markets as with the Siam kitchen lessons due to the heat and the ingredients were all recognisable.

Hired a car through the hotel (budget) one day and drove round the island - would have been good to do more research beforehand as we weren't keen on the animal shows that were very well signposted but we got to see more of the island and have lunch at the Cliff. Driving wasn't really an issue - just be patient and watch out for the lack of indication.

Tailoring: can once again recommend Timmy's - maybe more for men's clothes than women's but with time for lot's of fittings they did a great job and were very accommodating. Can easily say - avoid Scandi at all costs!! We tried them because friends had a good experience and they were really pleasant at first but the finish just wasn't there - never got my shirts right with funny bulgy bits at the ends of darts and they tried to package them up so I wouldn't try them, the shoes hubby had made broke yesterday morning the first time he put them on. Think it'll be a while before we can laugh about the experience - it put a bit of a downer on our last night,

Shopping wise weren't very adventurous, but did buy some dvd's and a couple of gorgeous things from Jim Thompson at the Centara Grand. We saw really nice handbags at BSP leather and Baggy's - wish I'd bought one now after seeing how close to the originals (at Singapore airport) they were.

Also enjoyed Murray's and the Reggae Pub (especially the band on Friday night), but it pays to be open minded and non judgemental about the crowd.

Overall a fantastic trip and we'll hopefully be back next year :)

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 174
1. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Thanks for sharing, enjoying reading your JBR.

Leicester, United...
2. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

thanks for that

what bags were they and what kind of price please?

Adelaide, south...
3. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Hi shazza

thanks for the info. Could you pls tell me how much the snorkelling trip cost?

Thanks

karmelek

Mildura, Australia
reviews: 53
4. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Not the original poster but thought I could answer anyway LOL. We have just come back from Samui and did an Athong Marine Park day trip with Seahawk and it was 2000B and worth every penny. They also do Koh Tao snorkelling ones for 1800B http://www.tourskohsamui.com/snorkeling.html

I will be doing a review of my tour but I highly recommend Seahawk/Tours Koh Samui as we had a brilliant day, the staff were amazing and we were really looked after all day :-0 It was probably the most expensive we found but it was well worth the extra $.

melbourne
5. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Hey Ruthxxx, most common bags were quilted Chanel's, Jimmy Choo's, Prada's, Tods, Miu mui, Mulberry - ranged from 2000baht (small clutch) to what they told me was 9000baht for a largish new season mui mui, but sure that wasn't the best price.

Edited: 11:37 pm, September 29, 2010
melbourne
6. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Our trip to Koh Tao for snorkelling was 3500 baht per person.

This included transfers, lunch, towels, drinks etc. There were only 12 people on the boat (5 snorkellers, 3 divers and 4 staff). I thought the staff and service was very good - even had a snorkel guide in the water with us.

In comparison, the trip we did to Angthong last year had approx 50 people (much slower boat) and cost 2200baht. It was a better kayaking destination, but the snorkelling wasn't as good as Koh Tao.

Hope that helps.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 43
7. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Shazz,

Thanks for the JBR, great stuff. Glad you enjoyed Ninjas, great food.

All the best.

Adelaide, south...
8. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Hi Shazzza!

Thanks for that. Just curious was the whole trip by fast speed boat or did you first have a catamaran and then a speed boat?? Ive noticed the cheaper tour comoanies use the catamaran first and then speed boat to snorkelling destination.

Thanks

Karmelek

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 43
9. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

Koh Samui was featured on Getaway last night with Ninja's getting a mention.

Have to agree with Jules Lund, Koh Samui is better than bali.

melbourne
10. Re: JBR Report - Sep 2010

It was speed boat all the way :)