We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessability

Woolacombe
reviews: 2
Wheelchair accessability

Would I be able to get around the island with a wheelchair.

Or at least some of the island.

10 replies to this topic
Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
for Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, English Riviera, Exeter
reviews: 44
1. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Could be tricky, I visited once with a load of kids on a tallship and I remember a steep climb from where you are dropped off - although it's been a few years since I've been I doubt a wheelchair could get up there. There are some decent pathways but I think you will struggle to get up to them.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 86
2. Re: Wheelchair accessability

You would have to decamp from you're wheelchair and get into a landrover to get up there. Getting around would be hard but it depends on the type of chair you have, you're fitness/pushers fitness as to whether you could get round. You also have negotiation the boat to consider.

You're best bet would be to email them and ask for a good answer. http://www.lundyisland.co.uk/

Woolacombe
3. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Thank you suebovington

my wheelchair is a normal two large rear wheels and two small front wheels.

both myself and my wife who is my pusher are pensioners.

Somerset
Destination Expert
4. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Sounds like hard work! I think you will have to contact them and the ship - or the helicopter in winter and see what they say. Or maybe easier if you go to the Tourist Info in Woolacombe.

It's usually the Oldham that goes regularly from Ilfracombe. It's a boat taking supplies so 1) it won't be kitted out or 2) they may have wider gang planks or something for the stores going aboard. Hopefully not by crane! I can't see you on the inflatables that go.

It's always worth a try if it is something you want to do.

London
reviews: 8
5. Re: Wheelchair accessability

I would say an emphatic no, I'm afraid. The path up from the jetty is very steep in places, and the island itself has no smooth roads or paths. I have been there recently and had to duck out of nearly all walking because I have a dodgy knee - I would really not fancy it with a wheelchair, either being in it or pushing it.

Somerset
Destination Expert
6. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Good to have some recent experience Wombling. I also know from the past injuries that paths that seem ok when you are fit take on a whole new appearance with a disability.

I keep meaning to go again but haven't made it yet.

england
reviews: 69
7. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Have to agree that the island is not disabled friendly. The main path up includes steps and while I don't remember any on the land rover route that doesn't mean they weren't there. Paths are step. You'd need to go up by Land Rover (pre book) and the paths then are mainly grass, I think, with a bit of tarmac but not enough to enjoy the island.. There are also stiles on some paths and while some had gates too I don't think they all did. There was a gangplank on to the boat with rails either side and I think a slight step up and off. Narrowish gangplank so might not take a chair and I didn't see an accessible toilet. Steps on the boat to get any food or drink. The trip takes 2 hours each way. We went not long ago.

Don't know how accessible the helicopter is but that bypasses the paths up. It only flies in winter so you'd be staying on the island.

Edited: 2:57 pm, October 27, 2013
Woolacombe
8. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Thank you for all your comments. We did go to Lundy. Everyone on the ship were very helpful and the help to get us into the Landrover and up to the top was also good but from then on IMPOSSIBLE. My wife tried to push the wheelchair on the gravel paths but it wasn't at all possible with an ordinary wheelchair. We met someone with a very tiny baby in a Pram/pushchair he said he couldn't push that along either. We went into Lundy office to try and suggest that they warn people that you couldn't push a wheelchair along the paths but they insisted that it was wheelchair friendly. She said they had photo's of someone in a wheelchair going along the paths but when I insisted that she showed me the photo's it turned out that it was an all terrain wheelchair. We still enjoyed our trip but it would have been better if we had gone without the expectations of being able to get around.

East Sussex, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Wheelchair accessability

<<< We still enjoyed our trip but it would have been better if we had gone without the expectations of being able to get around.>>>

Michael, whilst it's good to know that you made the journey and have posted an update I cannot really understand your above comment. Where did your ' expectations of being able to get around ' come from ?

All the replies to your original post suggested anything but, and one post in particular said an emphatic no.

In any event you got there and went as far as you could. Pushing a standard type wheelchair on a gravel path was never going to work was it ?

Fair play for making the effort.

Somerset
Destination Expert
10. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Good to know though Michael as it is a question likely to be asked again and unless you are in the situation our comments are only assumption.

At least we know that people with mobility problems could get up to the top. As you said you still enjoyed it it would be helpful if you could tell us what you could actually do or enjoy. Thanks.

Reply to: Wheelchair accessability
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lundy Island