We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

Which Cala'n Porter hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hertfordshire
reviews: 14
Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

Hi All,

You must all be sick of my questions by now, so I'm very sorry! Just want to be sure on my holiday! I have narrowed who I am going to book with, and how I am going to do it! I think I am going to book a villa in calan porter, but, I just want to be sure, as I have read (done lots of homework) calan Bosch and Forcat have lots of childrens bouncy castles/play areas etc, and I'm just wondering if calan porter have the same sort of things? I like the sound of calan porter as it's close to the airport, and the villa iv'e pre selected is in a great position, but no good if there is nothing for the children to do, as we do like to have somewhere for them to play while we have a cheeky glass of wine in peace!

I know you guys and gals know these areas well, so thank you so much in advance!

P.S for june/july 2014

Stafford, United...
1. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

The three resorts are all very different to each other. The answer to your question for Cala den Porter are yes- you can see all this at mymenorca.info/cala-en-porter/things-to-see-… ( one of the reco sites in the top questions section )

IMO If you are in a Villa with pool kids usually never come out so you can relax in any resort with a wine:-). Several places in Cala en Porter where parents can have a drink with play area for kids - see site above

Manchester
reviews: 5
2. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

Hi,

I believe Calan forcat is the only resort where the majority of bars and restaurants have free indoor / outdoor play area's, bouncy castles etc. Calan Bosch has the Goody Goody Park which for has bouncy castles , slides / trampolines etc - and a bar! I think there is a small entrance charge. Not sure about Calan Porter but I think it has a similar thing to the Goody Goody Park

Greg

Stafford, United...
3. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

You need a pool in Cala en Forcat as the beaches are non existent! One reason why they have so many 'free' kids facilities.

Edited: 7:33 am, October 03, 2013
hertfordshire
4. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

Hi

Thanks you so much for the link tom, very handy to look at! I think I have now ruled calan forcat out, as the children will often spend a lot of time on the beach, but calan bosch sounds very appealing with all the play areas, with bars!! although I know it is about an hour away from the airport, is the hour drive worth it? any thoughts on which resort is better? (porter or bosch) or do you think it's very much a personal choice? Phew, I will be so glad when I have booked this holiday! Thanks so much everyone!

Edited: 8:10 am, October 03, 2013
Stafford, United...
5. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

All resort choices MUST be totally personal once you have the facts ( many posters I feel are looking for people to almost take the decision away from them? )

"calan bosch sounds very appealing with all the play areas, with bars!" Err where do you have this from ? CnB and CNP would IMHO have equal amount for their relative sizes. Choice between two is very different when you take that out of the equation.

Edited: 8:49 am, October 03, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

hi kelsie500

Have you looked at the resorts in between Son Bou - Santo Tomas - Cala Galdana.

Cala'n Porter has about 150+ steps down to a very nice beach so may be a problem for some people.

Reading your reviews I think Cala'n Bosch rather then Cala'n Porter would be a better choice for you and your family.

Also anyone staying in Cala'n Porter avoid Los Barriles resturant near the beach the food a service is awful.

hertfordshire
7. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

Ah, I see, Sorry, I read the post from Gregscott and confused what he said about CnF, with CnB!

Sorry my Fault! So what are the main differences in your opinion? From what I can make out, CnB is a purpose built resort, so I am guessing it will be a bit more touristy maybe?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
reviews: 38
8. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

I wholeheartedly agree about avoiding Los Barriles in CNP down near the beach like the plague - the service and food there is awful IMHO ( see my review on tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g673871-… ) . Los Barriles is the larger "restaurant" (and I use the word guardedly after my dodgy experience of the place) down there - the small bar/restaurant next to it is under different management and not to be tarred with the same brush.

Re CNP beach we have covered that on your other thread, you can go down via the roadway but in June ( I think that is when you were going) it will be a hot old walk back up)

I see you have now discounted Forcat ( wise IMHO as it is a very "English package holiday" place and my least favourite place on the island ) but only YOU can decide between CNP and Cala N'Bosch as to which will suit you best as they are different not only because Bosch has more hotel customers and the marina, resort shops and beach etc. are all on the same level.

You have not said how you plan on getting to the resort - private transfers/taxis as well as taking much longer with be far more expensive if you are travelling to Cala N'Bosch than if you are based in CNP. If you are hiring a car from the airport PLEASE be careful which firm you end up with - there is a Top Question exclusively about car hire issues and you also need to be aware that with some of the bigger firms the simple act of collecting the car has been quoted by some disgruntled posters on here as having taken over an hour of queuing and "discussions" about unexpected T&Cs before they even drove off in it !

London, United...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

MenorcaRegular

Los Barriles - My fault for not reading the reviews a lesson learnt the hard way.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
reviews: 38
10. Re: Calan porter, Calan bosch, or Calan forcat? (sorry)

Oh Dear Tony C - you and me both - I got mixed up in my recollection of which was the nice one and went into Los B - all I can say is NEVER again :-(

Kelsie

To answer your question , Yes, Cala N'Bosch IS a purpose built tourist development but then again ALL " resorts" on this island are areas that have been developed as tourist places because historically apart from Ciutadella ( old Capital) and Mahon (present capital) and fishing villages like Fornells and Es Grau all the residential areas were built inland away from the coastline..Even today you will find menorquins who have houses in the towns with another smaller place to go to at weekends somewhere in the countryside or in a non touristy place like the tiny fishing village of Es Grau. 50 odd years ago places like Cala Galdana were literally a beautiful beach down the road from the nearest town where people went to spend time relaxing - then came the hotels, then apartment complexes and more and more villas together with the businesses to serve the tourists and there it is today a full blown tourist area

Cala N'Porter is an older tourist area than the west coast resorts which were all developed into what they are now up fairly quickly in relative terms whereas places like CNP evolved gradually. CNP has a mix of year round residents and tourists whereas CNB is more as a May -October place.

I think you may be going into overdrive in your "where is best?" decision making - look at all the places you are considering via the various info sites ( see top Questions for details of some you might find useful and decide from there which place you like the sound of best and then just go with it. The island is so small you can drive from one end to another in around and hour or so

Edited: 10:59 am, October 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Porter