We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

Canton, Michigan
reviews: 3
Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

Visiting my boyfriend's sister and brother in law in Bloubergstrand, they are in the Peace Corps in Botswana and meeting us there for vacation. We will have a group of 7.

We don't really have much planned, other than visiting the wine country and Table Mountain. The guys might golf, the girls will shop. Is it safe for us women to shop alone (during the day)? What should we expect?

13 replies to this topic
Cape Town
1. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

Is it safe for us women to shop alone (during the day)?

Of course. What do you think most women in Cape Town do all day? Well apart from holding the economy together, running homes, bringing up kids. Oh and in Cape Town being the Mayor, the Premier of the Western Cape or the Parlimentary leader of the Opposition!

What should we expect?

Loads of shops. Huge modern shopping Malls at all price levels and loads of things to spend your money on!

Canton, Michigan
2. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

Thank you! Just checking! Never been any where near the area, kind of a last minute planned trip. Some of our group hasn't been out of the US so we aren't quite sure what to expect! Any restaurant or boutique recommendations?

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

OK, now I am looking forward to read what VdC has to say about "boutique" recommendations (VdC, dont ask your wife!!!!!!!!!!!!). LOL

Klaus

Edited: 12:39 pm, December 27, 2011
George, South Africa
reviews: 20
4. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

Personally I am not keen on the Bloubergstrand area , but at least its not too far from the V&A waterfront, Canal walk (HUGE shopping mall) and other interesting places. Also very windy.

If you like seafood and sushi... there is a restaurant in the V&A waterfront called Willoughby's... the location is nothing special.. just in a shopping mall.. but the food is unbelievable.

Canton, Michigan
5. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

Why don't you care for Bloubergstrand?

George, South Africa
reviews: 20
6. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

LIke I said... way too windy and I just don't think there is good restaurants/shopping in the area, traffic traffic traffic.. always a mess to get out of there to Cape Town waterfront or Camps Bay. Even a mission just to get to Bayside Mall.

Sure there is people that love the place. Just my personal experience.

manchester uk.
reviews: 1
7. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

We Have visited Capetown for the past 10yrs .... and stayed at Eden on the Bay on Bloubergstrand in Dec .it was fantastic there was plenty to do ..there are shop's and a good choice of Restaurants and only a short drive to cape town..im sure you will love it...enjoy

Manchester (uk)

South Africa
reviews: 53
8. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

In Blouberg you can go to the Blue Peter Hotel, right on the beach front and sit on their lawn and sip a cocktail (prices are not too steep) and watch the sun set over the ocean and Table Mountain. It's relaxing and safety has never been a problem. You can also take a drive up the West Coast to Langebaan or even further to Lambert's Bay, it's worth the trip. At Langebaan there is the Strandloper a seafood restaurant right on the beach in the shape of a shelter/ boma, which serves a seafood buffet and where Jakes, a local musician will entertain you - he's quite a hoot. Just check out the website since you have to book in advance. (strandloper.co.za - if I'm not mistaken) We found it quite entertaining.

Table View, South...
reviews: 89
9. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

For the record I stay in Tableview, just down the road from Bloubergstrand.

Bloubergstrand is not the usual place where overseas visitors stay. While it has arguably the best views in Cape Town it is also one of the windiest areas. yes it is next to the beach but it is not a swimming area as the water is very cold, even in summer.

As for dining there are very few if any fine dining places in the area. Most of the restaurants are normal, meaning good food at reasonable prices where the locals eat as this is what they can afford. Most of the better dining places are in the nearby wine farms, about 10 minutes drive, durbanvillewineroute.co.za/en/durbanvillewin…

Traveling wise it is excellently located if you want to go up the west coast, the N2 towards Malmesbury or further north. It is also relatively easy to get to the winelands around Paarl, Wellington, Franschoek, Stellenbosch and further afield.

BUT...big but, it is not easy to get into the City Centre, Greenpoint, Camps Bay, Clifton, the southern suburbs, Cape Point etc. This is because of traffic, horrendous traffic, during peak hours which usually starts at 06h45 till 09h00 and 16h00 till 18h30. You cannot avoid this traffic unless you take a boat across the bay.

Edited: 7:33 am, January 21, 2012
dorset
reviews: 32
10. Re: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town

We came back from Blouberstrand 3 weeks ago & it was truly the best holiday we have ever had. I guess it depends what you want. To us it was relaxed,laid back with wonderful beaches,unlike Cape Town which is so busy & touristy.

There are lovely restaurants at Big Bay or surfers type bars & restaurants in Blouberg, & cheaper than Cape Town or Camps Bay. There are lots of Malls but the best one Canal Walk is great loads of shops.We have been coming to South Africa for 8 yrs & although we love all of it Bloubergstrand is where we will return to in the future infact we have already booked for next year. As for safety we have never ever seen any trouble.

Edited: 5:36 am, February 21, 2012
Reply to: Safety / What to do in Bloubergstrand/Cape Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bloubergstrand