We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chibougamau GATR site

Which Chibougamau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dartmouth, Canada
reviews: 39
Chibougamau GATR site

In 1962 I was stationed at the military base there and worked at what was called the GATR site. (Not where the radar domes were.) It was located about twenty miles east of the town of Chibougamau on a mountain. Is there anyone that can recall the name of that mountain?

(¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)

5 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Ontario
1. Re: Chibougamau GATR site

I'm afraid I don't know the proper name for the mountain, but I believe the Chibougamau GATR Site was at (49.94985, -74.30474) and while most of the site has been rehabilitated, the bare spot where it stood still remains!

Dartmouth, Canada
2. Re: Chibougamau GATR site

Thank you very much. This information is greatly appreciated. I would agree from the map coordinates this is exactly where it was. Much more accurate than my hand written notes :)

George

(¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)

Rimouski (Québec)
reviews: 2
3. Re: Chibougamau GATR site

Could it be Mount Cummings?

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Installations_route…

Robert

Dartmouth, Canada
4. Re: Chibougamau GATR site

I believe you could be right. I was there at opening in 1962 so the picture doesn't look familiar at all, other than the zig zag portion of the roadway. During my posting there was a GATR building manned 24 hrs a day, plus a UHF/VHF antenna farm that contained about a dozen or more antenna towers plus one larger double tower further out. Interesting!

(¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 22
5. Re: Chibougamau GATR site

Reminds me of a year back in the late 50's when our family spent time in a community just about 30 miles south of Chibougamau, while Dad worked in the local gold mine, not much to do there, going into town was a big deal,the school was the proverbial one room affair,Winter came early and stayed a long time.The fishing in the local lakes was phenomenal.We ultimately moved to Florida,Mom and Dad saying they never wanted to do winter again..

Reply to: Chibougamau GATR site
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chibougamau
Recent Conversations