We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scams

Which Marigot Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Amboy, New...
scams

Is it unusal for the seller to request a bank tranfer payment?

norfolk
reviews: 30
1. Re: scams

need more info please. what are you buying? what are the circumstances?

pam

Perth Amboy, New...
2. Re: scams

Renting a vacation property in St. Lucia. Owner in U.K. Wants payment via bank transfer. Property posted on tripadvisor.

Sailingfreedom

norfolk
3. Re: scams

posted on t.a. is defintiely NOT a guarantee. loads of scams out there. you want my honest opinion? i wouldn't touch it with someone else's bargepole!

either stay in an hotel or find an apartment through an agency. most private owners use a rental agency to manage their property. then use a credit [not debit] card to pay. that way, your money is protected. paying by bank transfer, your money is gone for ever the minute you pay.

maybe i'm over cautious, but this scamming is really big in the u.k.

pam

leeds
reviews: 7
4. Re: scams

Well I can't vouch for the person in questions integrity I've got a property in Greece and I take payment by bank transfer , cheque or PayPal .

Check his reviews , you can usually find something somewhere especially if he's on tripadvisor , if your gut feeling is somethings not right go with it. There are plenty of good rental sites out there.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 21
5. Re: scams

I have rented properties for myself both in the US and Europe and have paid by bank transfer with no problems. I also rent a property I own and take payment either with checks or bank transfers. I agree with Stevo to check reviews on sites where they advertise. You can tell a lot from them. You might also ask the owner for references -- granted these could be weighed in his favor -- but more than likely they are legit. There are lots of private owners out there who rent just one property and do it successfully. To hire a manager would make costs higher and thus rental costs for you higher. Also look for postings about this rental property on TA and other vacation sites.

Vieux Fort, St...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 1
6. Re: scams

It is quite normal here because cheques take so long to clear...if you prefer pay by credit card or even paypal...I doubt its a scam.

Oshawa, ON
reviews: 45
7. Re: scams

I have booked thru VRBO.com and not had any issues. Don't know if I would book thru TA.

Edited: 2:00 pm, July 24, 2012
norfolk
8. Re: scams

trip advisor is not a booking site, it merely carries advertising and reviews. if you click on a link, you are taking to a booking agent. you cannot 'book through t.a.'.

pam

UK
reviews: 10
9. Re: scams

I would always use a credit card or paypal. This gives you an extra level of protection, not only against scams, but also against bankruptcy, overbooking, mistakes, natural disasters, cancellation etc.

norfolk
10. Re: scams

one important point - paypal will not protect you.

https:/…BuyerProtectionOffEbay.htm

to get buyers' protection, the thing purchased must be physical and able to be posted.

sorry to keep on about this - i hang about on the new york forum a lot. accommodation scams using paypal and bankers' drafts are rife there, and many of the properties are listed on t.a. t.a. do not check out their advertisers or listings except when they are reported. by which time, it is too late.

pam