We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel alone from Cancun to reef chinchorro

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London
reviews: 1
Travel alone from Cancun to reef chinchorro

Hi there,

Plan to go to South Mexico for the first time in Nov. Might be cheapest to fly to Cancun from London and then take a coach down to near the Belize border. Will be female travelling alone. My style is hanging out with the locals,learn about their culture, thinking etc.,basic accommodation fine. Any ideas for coach, places to see please? I would love to dive at reef Chinchorro. I speak Spanish ok and lived 4months in Nicaragua before so I am aware of basic safety etc.

Thanks a lot

Andrea

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 66
1. Re: Travel alone from Cancun to reef chinchorro

Hello Andrea,

The are two daily Cancun - Mahahual buses. The first leaves Cancun at 7:30 a.m. the second leaves at 11:30 p.m.

The trip takes 5 hrs. (arrival at Mahahual is at 12:30 noon, and or 5:30 a.m.) Stops are at Playa del Carmen (PDC) 8:30 a.m., Tulum 10:00 a.m., Felipe Carrillo Puerto 11:00 a.m.) along the way.

Mahahual is a cruise ship port, so it has numerous boats taking divers out to the reef, several bars & restaurants, and several places to spend the night.

We generally stay an hour south of Mahaual in the small town of Xcalak. Xcalak is a very small fishing village, just north of Belize's Ambergris Key, and boat trips to Ambergris Key are not hard to arrange with the local fishing charter boats.

There are many small & fun places to stay. There is a dive shop in Xcalak called XTC diving, which seems to have a very good reputation - I can't speak to it personally as we are not divers. XTC diving is co-located with Costa de Cocos (hotel) which has a bar & a nice little restaurant. The town of Xcalak also has a spectacular restaurant called the Leaky Palapa, and if you stay there - I strongly recommend eating there at least once!

Hope you have a great trip!

Phil

Cancún, México
2. Re: Travel alone from Cancun to reef chinchorro

Well, you can get the bus in ADO cancun, to mahahual, or to bacalar, that is also beautiful!!! from there you could get a cab to Belize, is only 15 min away, they will ask you for your pasport etc etc... It wasnt hard for me to get there, I did it driving, and I notice that lots of cabs get into and out.

Southern California
reviews: 1
3. Re: Travel alone from Cancun to reef chinchorro

Been to Xcalak at least five times and highly recommend a rental car here, as all the hotels (except for a rundown looking one, if it is even still there), are anywhere from 2km to 12km north of town on the beach road. Heck of a long walk. Leaky Palapa has fantastic food and should be open in November.

4. Re: Travel alone from Cancun to reef chinchorro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 10, 2012