We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine

London, United...
reviews: 12
Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine

I have a few days in Torres del Paine and I was wondering whether this itinerary from a tour operator is making the best use of my time. It seems a shame that I only get two full days in the park and that I will not be able to do anything on the last day.

December 25th Punta ArenasPuerto Natales

Bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales.

December 26th Puerto Natales – Torres del Paine National Park

Early departure to Torres del Paine National Park, arriving at the area of Laguna Amarga. From here, you will set off on a trek to the base of Las Torres. After about 4 hours hiking will reach the base. Free rest of the day. Accommodation in Refuge Torres.

December 27th Torres del Paine National Park

Transfer in regular bus from Laguna Amarga to Pudeto. Navegation Catamarán for Pehoe Lake to Paine Grande. Excursion to the French Valley. After about 2 hours will reach the Italian camping area and then enter the valley to observe the mountains that are hidden behind the Cuernos del Paine (horns), such as Fortaleza, Espada and Hoja amongst others. Dinner and accommodation at Lodge Paine Grande.

December 28th Torres del Paine National Park – Puerto Natales – Punta Arenas

Early in the morning navigation from Pehoé Lake to Pudeto. Later you will take a regular bus to Puerto Natales, to continue to Punta Arenas.

If there's anyone familiar with the park that is able to advise on this I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

Edited: 3:21 pm, October 08, 2013
5 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
1. Re: Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine

Transport from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales will take about 3 hours and from PN to the park another two. The hike to the viewpoint of the towers is easily 4 hours up and the same back, maybe a bit less going down, but still a very full day. The following day isn't much less active. The last day you have the boat crossing and then bus to Puerto Natales and another bus to Punta Arenas. Transport is taking up that last day. If you were just going to Puerto Natales and not all the way to Punta Arenas you might fit in a bit of walking but, as it is, you have a long way to go.

London, United...
2. Re: Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine

Thanks very much for getting back.

I have asked to just go as far as PN on the last day to give me time for something in the morning. The question is would it be better to stay and do short walks near Lodge Paine Grande, or taking the catamaran to Pudeto (or somewhere like Hosteria Pehoe if it stops there) and doing something round there?

Ideally I'd like to stay at Hosteria Pehoe because it looks stunning there, but I don't know if it's possible. It looks a lot nicer than the area round Lodge Paine Grande, is that right?

On the 26th I will only be walking back to Refuge Torres, with the intention of doing an early morning walk there the next day. From what I've heard it's about 45 minutes from the refugio,

Thanks again.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
3. Re: Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine

I would wait until you are there, see what amount of time you have and how you feel about it. If they are booking the bus back to PN from Pudeto, check when the last crossing to Pudeto is. I am not sure what the rest of your itinerary looks like and whether you need to get to PA the same day for a flight. I think the last bus from PN to PA is around 7 pm, but check because things change.

London, United...
4. Re: Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine

Thanks again.

I'm flying out of PA at 2pm on the 29th, so I'll be going for the 9am bus from PN.

Do you know if the bus tickets are for specific departure times / days?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
5. Re: Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine

Yes, the tickets are usually specific, except the buses which collect people at Pudeto are usually just 'find a seat' and somehow there are always enough seats. But between PN and PA you would need a booked seat.. Some people get their PN lodging to buy the tickets for them in high season. If this is part of a tour they should book the buses for you.

Reply to: Advice on a short itinerary in Torres del Paine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...