We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 26
Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

Planning to travel to Chliean Patagonia in early November 2010 from Osorno (I am attending a conference at Hotel Termas Puyehue). We will have about 2 weeks to plan travel outside of the conference. Would love to spend a week or so in the Torres del Paine area hiking and doing other outdoor activities.

I have heard wonderful things about Explora but it is pricey! I could probably justify 4 nights but not 8. Remota looks really nice but it does seem like a long trip to the center of Torres del Paine park. Would we be missing out not staying right in the park? Does it make any sense to spend 4 nights at Explora and then another 4 in Remota concentrating on activities outside the park?

Also - would appreciate advice on the best way to travel from Osorno to the TdP area? Best to fly back to Santiago and then onwards to Punta Arenas? Or take the ferry from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
1. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

Taking the Navimag ferry would take 4 days out of you trip.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

Thanks, I realize that and probably not worth it. However it seems wrong to backtrack when there is so much beautiful scenery between the 2 locations! I gather there is no other way to easily get from one place to the other?

Scunthorpe, United...
3. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

We did Navimag from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt. We are glad we did it but wouldn't bother again. Admittedly the weather wasn't brilliant but we were disappointed by the scenery - possibly because the boat spent most of the time sailing through wide channels so you were quite a way from it. Then there is Golf de Penes... You may be lucky and it may be flat as a pancake on the other hand you may experience the full force of the Atlantic for 12 hours...

Our pictures of the trip are here:

…mac.com/wasleys/…index.html

The Explora is eye wateringly expensive although that is all inclusive and excursions are part of the deal. We stopped at Hotel Las Torres which is cheaper - although that is relative. TdP is expensive. It is a long way from anywhere so all staff , food and services have to be brought in - from quite a distance.

Will you have access to a hire car when you are in TdP? If so you will be able to access all of the park without any problems where ever you stay. Roads are unpaved but perfectly OK if you drive sensibly.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
4. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

EESW, that would be the Golfo de Penas. What you have is something quite different. :)

Scunthorpe, United...
5. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

Thanks for putting me right - I was being lazy and working from memory and not checking spelling....mind you after the trip we had on the Golfo de Penas....

Edited: 5:42 pm, June 06, 2010
Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

Thanks for the comments so far. It looks like LAN does have some direct flights from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas - I guess this would be the most sensible way to go?

Any thoughts about Remota vs. Explora?

Puerto Montt
7. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

Hi Zoezer,

From Termas Puyehue I would look at the following: Cross over to Argentina and spend three days in Bariloche. Then head back to Chile and down to Puerto Montt area for two days. From there you can fly to Punta Arenas and then on to Torres. I suggest hiring a car in Puerto Natales to give you flexibility in the park. Spend your four nights in the Explora if you can afford it. That will give you quite a bit of time to see the park. If you have time left or do not want to go to Bariloche, from Puerto Natales, take three days and visit El Calafate and the Perito Moreno glacier.

Scunthorpe, United...
8. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

If you book into the Explora you won't need a car in the ark as all the excursions are included as part of the price. The car is only needed if you are stopping outside the park or if excursions are not included in the price. They do work out expensive.

9. Re: Remota vs. Explora - any point staying at both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...