We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on itinerary

St. Paul, Minnesota
reviews: 5
Feedback on itinerary

Hello again!

We are now finalizing our plans for our trek through Torres del Paine (we leave in a week) and would really appreciate some feedback on whether this plan is realistic from a timing standpoint. Here's what we're thinking:

- Our flight from Santiago arrives in Punta Arenas around 1:30 pm on Sunday. Our goal is to spend the night in Puerto Natales so that we can catch the first bus to Torres del Paine the following morning, so we'll need to catch a bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales on Sunday afternoon/evening. The bus schedules I have seen seem to fit this timing but am hoping someone can confirm.

- Provided we make it to Puerto Natales Sunday night, we want to catch an early bus from Puerto Natales to the Administracion in the park on Monday morning. Again, we've read that there is an early bus from Puerto Natales to the park but haven't seen a specific time.

- As long as we get to the park on Monday, we plan to hike to Paine Grand Mountain lodge for the night.

- Tuesday we would hike and spend the night at Refugio Los Cuernos.

- Wednesday we would hike and spend the night at Hosteria Las Torres.

- Thursday morning we would take the shuttle from the Hosteria to Laguna Amarga to catch the first bus back to Puerto Natales. We need to catch a bus back to Punta Arenas that same day, because we have a morning flight back to Santiago on Friday.

So - does this sound doable? We are very excited about this trip and based on the research we've done and the maps we've consulted, the distances seem doable. But as it's hard to determine exact bus schedules, we wanted to check with anyone who knows better :)

Thanks in advance for your help. Have a great day, Jo

Washington DC...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Feedback on itinerary

I just got back from the Park yesterday. In short, your itinerary seems very reasonable and doable. Depending on what you want to see, you may wish want to skip the drop off at the Administration, and take the catamaran to refugio Paine Grande, then walk up to Glacier Grey. You can spend the night there, or if you leave immediately after landing via boat, you can walk to Grey and back before nightfall (this may be alot for the first day, however, if you are not an experienced hiker or trekker).

Depending on your fitness level, it is also possible to include at least part of the French Valley in your hike from Paine Grande to Los Cuernos. The hike from Paine Grande to Los Cuernos is 4 to 5 hours, and you can reach the first lookout (mirador) in the French Valley after one to one-and-half hours. Campamento Britanico is about 2.5 hours up from the Camp Italiano.

I'm posting my experiences in the park at the blog below; feel free to also email me directly.

travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Enjoy the park, it is truly spectacular.

Washington DC...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Feedback on itinerary

I just got back from the Park yesterday. In short, your itinerary seems very reasonable and doable. Depending on what you want to see, you may wish want to skip the drop off at the Administration, and take the catamaran to refugio Paine Grande, then walk up to Glacier Grey. You can spend the night there, or if you leave immediately after landing via boat, you can walk to Grey and back before nightfall (this may be alot for the first day, however, if you are not an experienced hiker or trekker).

Depending on your fitness level, it is also possible to include at least part of the French Valley in your hike from Paine Grande to Los Cuernos. The hike from Paine Grande to Los Cuernos is 4 to 5 hours, and you can reach the first lookout (mirador) in the French Valley after one to one-and-half hours. Campamento Britanico is about 2.5 hours up from the Camp Italiano.

I'm posting my experiences in the park at the blog below; feel free to also email me directly.

travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Enjoy the park, it is truly spectacular.

St. Paul, Minnesota
reviews: 5
3. Re: Feedback on itinerary

Thanks you very much for the terrific feedback!!! We are adapting our plans based on it. Also, thanks for sharing your blog - it's getting us really excited to get there :)

4. Re: Feedback on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...