We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

TORONTO
reviews: 26
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

Hi Everyone

Booked Royalton for late May 2014 and found out today that Sunwing changed the morning flight to late afternoon flight.

Spoke to customer relations and they are allowing me to change date of travel or destination so we can get a morning flight ( works better for our schedule)

My questions is this: How are the bugs at Royalton, Ive read some bad stories about bites in cuba so im wondering how the beach and area is there for those who have been. I have a wedding 2 weeks after we return from vacation and i am part of the bridal party with a short dress, wondering how bad it could be. Thinking about maybe switching to mexico since we loved it last year.

Thoughts please!!!

ontario,canada
reviews: 5
1. Re: Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

Hi Lisa, just back from the Royalton…there were mosquitos around a few evenings but had bug spray with me which helped greatly. Saw a few folks with some bites from sand fleas but nothing too awful. Been to Mexico many times as well and have had the same experience the joys of the Caribbean..totally worth it :)

Napanee, Canada
2. Re: Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

Some resorts are hit and miss for bugs. Time of year too. We take OFF. Sand fleas don't affect me, but my wife lathers up with OFF each morning before the beach. That seems to work. Most annoying are house flies around our patio when we are having a quiet sit. That is a seasonal thing too. Can't remember when that is at it's worst. Anyway we have no bugs in Canada but lots of snow. So I will take sunshine and bugs.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 141
3. Re: Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

Have been to CSM twice, may and September, with he latter being in Royalton, no bites at all and I get bitten by Mosquitos everywhere, May was bad for me but the weather had been bad so there was plenty of lying water for them to breed. (Buenavista).

My advice is to take some anti histamines and spray and go as I think CSM is better than Mexico.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 7
4. Re: Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

Just remember not to walk on the grass and sand in the evening - plus try not to brush up against trees etc

TORONTO
reviews: 26
5. Re: Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

Thanks everyone. I am sticking with RCSM and hoping I don't get too many bites. I will come prepared for sure tho.

I can't wait, I usually don't book way in advance but did for this smaller resort, now I am playing the waiting game.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 7
6. Re: Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

You will love it there. Plus you get to use Memories resort beside as well so you will have lots of options !!

7. Re: Royalton Cayo Santa Maria--Bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 04, 2015