We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect bites??

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 21
Insect bites??

We were at Melia Las Dunas in November of 2012. Upon returning I had many bites on my lower legs that took over a month to heal and were furiously itchy, and I have a couple of scars from scratching. I did a thorough inspection of the bed on arrival for bed bugs, not because I had read reviews that said it was an issue, but just because Bed Bug infestations had been in the news a lot at that time. My husband did not have a single bite. So Bed bugs are out. What else was it...Sand fleas, no-see-ums?? We are going to book in a weeks or so for a February vacation and I would love to visit this area again, but I need to know how to prevent getting so many bites again before I do. Thought maybe others that have been to this area my have some advice or suggestions

20 replies to this topic
Chesley, Canada
reviews: 4
11. Re: Insect bites??

Thank you so much! I now know what to do....I'm sure you just made my vacation much better!

Montreal
reviews: 1
12. Re: Insect bites??

Ok this scares me a lot, we are leaving in two weeks and now I don't want to go...everyone gets bitten that bad? We get a LOT of mosquies here in the summer but I never ended up at the clicnic with an IV...stingray64 when you say your legs were a mess I'm thinking flesh eting bacteria, please reassure me!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 6
13. Re: Insect bites??

Hola

relax, will you get some bites, yes....overall not that bad for most people..only a few have a very bad time with the bites like my wife....and she is planning our next trip to cuba...perhaps this month....again relax and enjoy your vacation.

cheers.

Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 8
14. Re: Insect bites??

Hi HotBen,

No worries...I always get bit no matter where I go. What I mean by a mess is I have at least 25 bites on each leg. Yes, they itch, but I take anti-histamines with me and lots of afterbite. I do not let that deter me from going. As mentioned above, some people are more apt to get bitten than others. I found that if I hung out in the water, I didn't get bitten as much...guess the buggers can't swim!

Have a great vacation!

mississauga
reviews: 10
15. Re: Insect bites??

I can honestly say after many visits to various parts of Cuba- I have had only ONE bite. Im lucky I guess- ( don't hate me ) lol. All the information on when to avoid the beach/ shade etc is 100 % true and I follow it strictly. Im thinking thats why i've not been bitten ( and prays with that being said- my luck continues )-One person mentioned about not putting towels on the bed.

Im going to add to this- while on the beach- I shake out EVERYTHING- including dumping my bag out- to get rid of as much sand as possible. Clothes I was wearing that day are shook out over the balcony. Bags and clothes of any kind are never ever put on the bed. I dont even sit on the bed until i have showed from the beach. At night, there is always a bit of sand on the floor- wipe your feet off completely before you stick each foot under the covers!

Yes, it all might sound extreme- but it is a method that has swerved me well. Happy vacations everyone!

Edited: 9:50 pm, January 03, 2014
mississauga
reviews: 10
16. Re: Insect bites??

"but it is a method that has SERVED me well"- oops for typos.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 41
17. Re: Insect bites??

I'm going to Cuba in February. I've still got some 100% deet that I bought for a trip into the jungle in Borneo. I reckon it'll be overkill in Cuba but I may as well use it, as I didn't have a bad reaction to it on my skin. Before going into the jungle I also sprayed my clothes with Permethrin. So, if you are going doo lally with paranoia about bites you might want to try the same. If you are that mad, then test a little of the deet on a patch of your skin first to see if you get a bad reaction.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 6
18. Re: Insect bites??

Hola

100% deet, be careful where you spray that stuff, will take the finish off most items...cannot buy in canada which is not a bad thing...lol.

cheers.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 41
19. Re: Insect bites??

Hola rrrichar

I bought it off Amazon's UK site. I just went onto their Canadian site and you can get it there too, although they are smaller containers than the one I bought.

Regards

KON

reviews: 2
20. Re: Insect bites??

Great information. Thank you so much..

Reply to: Insect bites??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted