We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Rooms at Sol Cayo

Ontario
Best Rooms at Sol Cayo

Hello folks!

Well, I was confident when I made the booking that Sol was more for us than Melia (we're nature nuts and didn't want anything too city-like or elaborate). We'd checked the review, but am getting nervous as I've recently found more reviews suggesting the place looked like a trailer park?!

Like anyone else.. we do want the best bang for our buck. We got an ocean view room, but I thought it'd be a good idea to contact the resort prior to our trip to make any additional room requests.

Has the resort done any recent renovations? Best view? Clean and comfy? Least walk to the beach? King bed? Quiet? (It's just us, celebrating our 10yr anniversary).

Thanks!

Brandon, Canada
reviews: 30
1. Re: Best Rooms at Sol Cayo

We were there last February - it doesn't look like a trailer park - take those type of reviews with a grain of salt. It is a comfortable resort - probably 6-10 years old.

I would personally ask for a king sized bed. Our room (and most others we spoke to) had 2 super-single sized beds. Ample for one but squishy for two.

The resort landscaping is quite mature due to age of the resort but it was quite adequate for us - the natural aspect of the grounds is quite lovely and it is a small intimate resort - only about 300 rooms - only 2 story villas available.

They were renovating last year when we were there and we happened to get a recently renovated room in the 3200 block (at the rear of the resort away from the ocean). We were quite happy to be away from the beach and could have privacy on our balcony which looked out over jungle like brush. Very tropical and romantic.

Ontario
2. Re: Best Rooms at Sol Cayo

Thank you! :-)

Consett, United...
reviews: 51
3. Re: Best Rooms at Sol Cayo

The Sol, in my opinion, looks nothing like a caravan park. The hotel is just over 10 years old so can be seen by many as tired. There is always a rolling renovation process going on.

The foliage is very mature and is fantastic to see.

We have never, as I have said here before, meet anyone on the return plane say it was not for them.

The Sol is older and does not Look so immaculate as the others on the Cayos but it is a good basic hotel. Plenty of young families and a party hotel. At one time the only disco there so there is always things to do and people to meet up with.

Ontario
reviews: 3
4. Re: Best Rooms at Sol Cayo

Stayed at the Sol Cayo about 6 years ago with my daughter and it was beautiful. We had a great time, were comfortable and well looked after. We met lots of great people-took over the beach bar for a dance party one afternoon with a bunch of french girls we met-great time. It in NO WAY looks like a trailer park lol!! The room had a beautiful bathroom with a sunken tub and there was a tile mosiac map of the resort on the back of the beach bar building I believe that was gorgeous. Maybe I'm just not that kind of picky?? Who knows? Your trip will be what you make it. I wish I had a scanner-I'd send you some photos but that was before I had a digital camera! My niece and her husband have been there twice in the past two years and my friends went in August 2008. Everybody we know would go back there in a heartbeat.. I have been to Cuba 3 times since then and as for the beach and the accomodations ..prefered Sol Cayo to the other places I stayed (although I had a great time on those trips too). I rebooked at the Sol Cayo with hubby for March Break this year but he can't go.. so my friend will come instead. The travel agent recommended an upgrade to the Melia Las Dunes which we took because they have a spa but honestly I would have been thrilled to go back to the Sol Cayo myself.

5. Re: Best Rooms at Sol Cayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 10, 2009