We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Europe Vacation

Which Appenzell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, Ohio
reviews: 20
June Europe Vacation

My Husband and I are planning on taking a trip to Europe in the first two weeks of June 2011. We are looking at doing big cities such as Rome and Paris. We are toying with the idea of also stopping in Switzerland(Zurich and Appenzell) as well. We have also thrown out Barcelona, Madrid and Berlin as possibilities. What are the best ways to travel between 3 or 4 large cities? Flights or Overnight trains? We are open to suggestions of where to go, how long we will need in each city and the best way to get around that is also cost effective. We have a total of 15/16 days to travel, which includes flights from US to Europe.

Thanks for your help!

2 replies to this topic
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
1. Re: June Europe Vacation

Hi littleli07

The main attraction in Switzerland are the mountains not the cities. Of course there are a few great cities around like Zurich - www.zurich.ch -, Basel - www.basel.ch -, Berne - www.bern.ch -, Lucerne - www.luzern.ch -, Geneva - www.geneve-tourisme.ch. But from all these cities in my opinion only one gives really an impression of Switzerland, Lucerne (see also Top Questions about Lucerne on the TA Lucerne forum). You find it on a great lake system (lake Lucerne) down in the valley and from there you can make great excursions to the mountain peaks in the area.

Appenzell is a town in the prealps. It is in a very nice area but not in the high Alps.

I hope this helps

pore

Colorado Springs, CO
reviews: 26
2. Re: June Europe Vacation

I would say train would be the most economical option and would allow you to get to smaller towns like Appenzell. You can take a train from Zurich to St. Gallen then take a smaller local train to Appenzell. If you stay three nights in Appenzell a lot of the local hotels/B&Bs will give you an Appenzell Silver Card: appenzell.info/fileadmin/template_tourismus/…

which allows you to travel on the Ostwind train for free during your visit. The train travels all around the Appenzellerland region. As "pore" says above, this is the prealps, not the alps, but there are still some great things to do around Appenzell. Good hiking, dining, cheese factories, bike riding, spas, etc...

Reply to: June Europe Vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted