We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful island - if you can get off the ship to enjoy it!

East Brunswick, New...
reviews: 12
Beautiful island - if you can get off the ship to enjoy it!

Had previously visited this island while on a HAL cruise in 2004 and absolutely loved it, so when I came across a Carnival cruise that was going to stop there I booked it. Unfortunately, the tender process on the Carnival Miracle was not as smoothly run as HAL. Originally we were supposed to be on the island from 9-5, but due to a medical emergency the time was changed from 10:30-6pm. You could obtain tender stickers beginning @ 9:30 but your entire group had to be present and you could not leave the theatre once you obtained the stickers. Tablemates of ours waited two hours before they got off the ship. We waited until 11:30 and it still took an hour. No direction had been given to let you know how to obtain a clamshell so I didn't know you had to pay for it where you got off the tender. I didn't see any that could be had @ that time anyway. The water is beautiful, but it was rough trying to find a shady spot and we ended up leaving early as there were too many smokers in that area. In addition, the barbeque lunch was not up to par. If I had to do it over again, I would either book an early excursion guaranteeing that I would get off the ship early or just wait until the crowd died down, take the tender over so I could take a dip in the water and then return and eat something on the ship. Very disappointed with Carnival regarding this port! Hope somebody else can learn from my experience!

4 replies to this topic
Ravensdale, Wa
reviews: 3
1. Re: Beautiful island - if you can get off the ship to enjoy it!

Thank you, I was wondering if one of the HAL excursions would be worth it and now you just confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks for your post!

Nassau, New...
2. Re: Beautiful island - if you can get off the ship to enjoy it!

That's too bad, and thanks for sharing. What would your choices of early excursions have been?

Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 19
3. Re: Beautiful island - if you can get off the ship to enjoy it!

Beautiful island, as a paradise just waiting to received you. My family and I went on a 15 day holand american cruise and stoped twice there.... Just as it says. I wish I could stay here forever!

Lake Country, Canada
reviews: 18
4. Re: Beautiful island - if you can get off the ship to enjoy it!

We stopped April 19 on a HAL cruise - had booked a clamshell, but we are handicapped and there is NO land transportation at all - you had to walk (hobble with a cane) and by the time we got ashore by tender - all the nearer clamshells had been occupied. Sand and sea were nice, drinks were the same price as on board ship - we would not do it again, rather stay on the ship and enjoy the empty pool and bar service.

Reply to: Beautiful island - if you can get off the ship to enjoy it!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little San Salvador...
More Little San Salvador Island (Half Moon Cay) Topics