We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Which Finikounda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
italy
reviews: 12
Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Finally going back to Methoni and Finikounda after 20 odd years and before that new road!

It sounds like the little fishing village of Finikounda has developed somewhat. I remember a sailing company being based out there many years ago but no posh hotels or resorts!

Lambas beach was a paradise, we use to sleep under the stars, wait for the turtles to hatch, and swim naked in the early evenings because the beach was deserted.

Am I going to be disappointed???

Our main base will be in Methoni and we are not coming until the end of September/October this year. I’m so looking forward to returning, after travelling the islands and other parts of Greece over many years, I've been a little dissapointed. So many places have completely sold out to tourism, and I’m hoping this is not the case, with what I use to call my little paradise

Bolton, United...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Dont worry, although there has been a lot of building in the area, it still in my opinion, retains its charms and has not gone too touristy.

The turtles are still there. Lambas beach is still lovely and quiet.

Neilson used to do the sailing holidays in Finikounda but are no longer there.

Hampshire
reviews: 29
2. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

This will be my first visit to Finikounda and one of the things that attracted me was that it just looks like a small traditional village.

I am just planning on laying on the beach all day and sitting in a taverna in the evening. Hopefully it will fit the bill!!!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
3. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Here are some views from 2009:

http://tinyurl.com/yfokm6x

Hampshire
4. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Great photo's thank you for the link

Piraeus, Greece
reviews: 15
5. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

I have been there just a week ago.

I swam at Lambes (guessing this is the one you call Lambas). There was a quite lot of people and there was a busy beach bar, but the beach is so long that you can easily find quieter parts. In any case, if you go in late September, it should be much quieter. We ate a taverna called Lambes at the Lambes Beach; the food was not that great but we liked very much the local feel of the place (it is cheap).

I am not sure about the turtles at Lambes, but they were witnessed several times at Zaga beach of Koloni recently.

Finikounda looked quite touristic and the night life there is quite busy (although it is not about loud music and dance clubs). I am not sure if you like this development.

Hampshire
6. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Which is the Lambas beach? I know there is the village beach where the harbour is.

Bolton, United...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Finikounda is always busy in July and August, but so much quieter early and late season and the locals have more time for you. Lambas beach is one of the beaches along the road towards Methoni. In June we saw turtles off the harbour in Finikounda.

italy
reviews: 12
8. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

Hello everyone and thank you so much for your feedback. It was nice to hear things have not changed that much and I can see that by the wonderful photos from greek-traveller.

It sounds like lambas beach has changed a little since the new road but I will still be going and enjoying a drink at the Taverna if it’s still open in October of course. I just can’t wait to get back!

9. Re: Back to Finikounda after 23 years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 22, 2013