We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

Which Bijagua de Upala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 14
Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

We are driving from San Jose to Bijagua de Upala and wanted to stop half way and stay at a beach. Is it too far out of the way to stop at a beach. If not, does anyone have a place to stop at and do you have a recommendation on a hotel? I have only been to Costa Rica once and that was over 10 years ago.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

Just about half way would be Playa Samara. The thing is - it's two hours off Rt 1, the InterAmerican Highway. Unfortunately, there is nothing that is easier to get to. www.samarabeach.com

Another option that is on the water but not really a beach is La Ensenada Lodge. This is just south of Limonal which is where you would turn off for the Friendship Bridge and Samara Beach. It's only 13 km off the highway so a lot closer. www.laensenada.net

guanacaste
reviews: 31
2. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

Ensenda: From San José, take the Inter-American to Punta Morales turnoff and continue for 12 miles (19 km) on gravel road (watch out for the chickens); from Liberia, take the Inter-American to the Costa de Pájaros turnoff and continue 9 miles (15 km)

Los Angeles
3. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

Thank you so much for responding and giving me the information that I was looking for. Just so I am clear, Ensenda is really close to San Jose and not really on the way to Bijagua de Upala. If that is the case we should probably just do that and than go to Bijagua de Upala. Thanks again.

4. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:35 pm, May 09, 2012
Edited: 6:35 pm, May 09, 2012
Los Angeles
5. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond back. I had to step away from planning this trip due to work and also my friend that I traveling with. He has been all over the place regarding this trip. We are staying at the Rio Celeste, that's why we are going up there. Is there a particular car rental agency that you recommend? Also we decided that we are going to spend 3 days and the end of our trip at the beach. Is there a particular area that you recommend us staying at? We are aware that we are going to have to drive a distance to the beach. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Christine

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
6. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

I am assuming from your post that you are staying at the Rio Celeste Hideaway. Is this the case?

From there, you can easily get to many of the northern Pacific beaches in about 2 hours. Which one you choose depends on what you are looking for. There are quiet beaches, quiet rustic beaches, a bit more active beaches and the fully developed beaches. There is all sorts of lodging from small "cabinas" to full-blown resorts.

For rental agencies: Service, Solid, Adobe, Alamo, Toyota, National, Budget, Wild Rider and Vamos are all recommended.

Los Angeles
7. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

Thank you again for all of your help. Reading some of the blogs regarding car rentals has me a little freaked out. That's why I asked is there one that you recommend. Yes, we are staying at the Rio Celeste Hideaway. I had a hard time getting in touch with someone from the resort, I tried emails and calls. Finally I had to get Bloomspot involved (which I bought the trip from) and they were able to get the confirmation for our stay finally. My friend is a gay male and it looks like he wants to be more at a gay themed beach. I myself just want a very nice beach to relax for a couple of days. If there is a beautiful beach that you can recommend I would appreciate it. I don't really care about any activities, just a hotel that is on the beach.

8. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:35 pm, May 09, 2012
Los Angeles
9. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

We are flying in and out of SJO. I meant "gay only" beach not "gay theme". I will check out the Nicoya area. Thanks again.

10. Re: Beach Resorts on the way to Bijagua de Upala

Removed on: 8:35 am, May 10, 2012
Edited: 8:35 am, May 10, 2012