We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tour or excursion recommendations?

Which Bijagua de Upala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bakersfield
reviews: 6
Any tour or excursion recommendations?

My fiance and I are staying at Rio Celeste. We're already taking a hike to the river and are debating about what to do with a free day. We've talked about Palo Verde, Cano Negro or the coffee tour. Anyone have any can't miss recommendations while we are there? Anyone know where the coffee tour is? Thanks!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Any tour or excursion recommendations?

If you are staying at the Rio Celeste Hideaway, you have a few choices.

Cano Negro would be great - I would arrange to go to the village of Cano Negro and not the Los Chiles way.

Palo Verde is a good tour also.

In Bijagua, you can visit an organic farm or a butterfly farm, go to the tilapia farm and catch a fish for them to cook for your meal, go horseback riding through the area, head for Heliconias Lodge for a walk on their trails with four canopy bridges. There are several small waterfalls in the area that you can visit as well as "El Sendero de Ranas" - the Frog Trail. For sloths, head for Casitas Tenorio - just "down the hill" from Heliconias Lodge.

If you are up for some rather rough hiking/climbing, you can take the Laguna Danta trail at Heliconias which goes to the top of the volcano and you can experience the cloud forest there, see the small lake in the old crater and perhaps spot a tapir or "danta."

You can also arrange a whitewater rafting trip on the Rio Tenorio or a float trip on the Rio Corobici.

Bakersfield
2. Re: Any tour or excursion recommendations?

Thanks Hattie! Any recommendations on who we should get in contact with in Cano Negro? The resort is wanting to charge us $125 each with transportation. Is it cheaper to drive and book ourselves?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
3. Re: Any tour or excursion recommendations?

If you have a car, you can just drive to Cano Negro and hire a boat yourself. While most of the boat captains don't speak English, they are expert at finding and pointing out wildlife and will stay in one spot as long as you want.

You can also arrange a tour through Cano Negro Lodge. $125 each is a bit steep, for sure.

In Bijagua, you can contact Donald Varela who does tours to both Cano Negro and the Rio Celeste, is very experienced and professional and speaks excellent English. You can contact him through www.casitastenorio.com

Edited: 2:15 pm, February 08, 2012
Bakersfield
4. Re: Any tour or excursion recommendations?

Thanks so much

New York City, New...
reviews: 73
5. Re: Any tour or excursion recommendations?

I will be staying in the Papagayo hotel area on the coast. Any recommendation for Tenorio+Rio Celeste tours from there that does not require long or medium-difficult hikes? I am particularly interested in suspension bridges through rain/cloud forest and waterfalls. Is that the right area?

6. Re: Any tour or excursion recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, April 06, 2014