We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worrying about Couples Barbados

Which St Lawrence Gap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 8
Worrying about Couples Barbados

We have been to Couples Negril four times and so when I read that there was going to be a Couples Barbados I booked for August 18th.

I am starting to worry that building work will still be in progress.

Our main reason for changing to Barbados is that my husband always feels a bit "trapped" in Jamaica in that there is nowhere to walk to outside the resort and it is all a bit scary on our own.

I am hoping that we can walk about in Barbados and hire a car to see more of the island. Perhaps even dine out sometimes.

Price wise and flight times are about the same for both.

At the moment, details about CB are sketchy and so I am wondering if I have jumped the gun, so to speak!

121. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, July 10, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 7
122. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

If people are wondering why there is an issue with expectation check a few quotes from the couples website, blog and message board. This is what I have just posted on the couples message board. Will post it in the 'worried about thread' too. I have saved the text as I will repost if, like so much it gets flagged as inappropriate.

"learn how to scuba dive with a professional instructor before plunging into the sea and discovering the majestic marine life" this, taken from couples blog, gives the impression that beginners instruction is included. Not so upon further inspection.

An earlier blog post states

"It’s a truly exciting time for everyone at Couples Resorts, we consistently strive to be the best in the business, and this new venture means that under our management Almond Casuarina will undergo a US$3 million dollar refurbishment program, bringing the resort to the well-known 5* standards of Couples Resorts Jamaica.

From June 1st 2013 the resort will be rebranded as Couples Barbados, becoming the island’s first and adults only all-inclusive resorts. Renovations will see:

Contemporary new décor and amenities throughout the resort, in public areas and all guestroom"

This would suggest that 5* standard contemporary decor can be expected in all guest rooms. The resort was claiming 3.5* prior to take over, was not delivering particularly well (rated 6/7 hotels in the area on trip advisor before it was removed see cached link at the bottom), but a "deep clean" is going to make the 1.5* difference?

"All facilities are available..." including jacuzzis with no heat "...no firm date" as to when this will be rectified.

The website is still promising a glass bottom boat trip that they have stated in the message board wasn't going ahead about a month ago.

If they want to manage expectation, they might want to check what those of us who have booked were promised!

Can I learn to scuba included?

Will I get a glass bottom boat ride?

Will I get a heated jacuzzi?

Will the room be at 5* couples standard with contemporary decor?

If not has it not been misrepresented when I booked?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Quacpi9W4tcJ:www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g666621-d589275-r121528516-Casuarina_Beach_Resort-St_Lawrence_Gap_Christ_Church_Parish_Barbados.html+casuarina+barbados+interlog+tripadvisor+review&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

New York
123. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

thank you for this information

Philadelphia...
reviews: 4
124. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

Question please......

Why don't they just send a few people from each department that actually work for the resort in Jamaica to Barbados to properly train the current staff and get the day to day operations up to par? I mean is that idea totally far fetched???

Edited: 3:45 pm, July 17, 2013
London, United...
125. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

Not a bad idea, but it won't add additional toilets, sort the stock issues reported, or raise the standard of the rooms.

I've have generally heard some good things about the staff, apart from the fact that they are knew to the site, which even the best of Jamaican staff would be.

A chef did come over from Jamaica to help with the transition though and that does seem to have helped. The input of senior management (also there to 'smooth' the transition) seems to have not have been so positive in its outcomes.

Edited: 4:00 pm, July 17, 2013
Philadelphia...
reviews: 4
126. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

MT1973

That's true in regards to changes to the actual facilities but I don't get why who ever is ordering food/supplies can't get that right.

Well, I have 3 weeks to make a decision on wether or not to cancel my reservation. I booked in February with a travel agent, which by the way I usually don't do, but stopped in with general questions and was told about the "Grand New Couples Resort" opening-and I ended up booking.......UGH!! So now if I decide to change I will be hit with a change fee plus I lose the difference in price to go back to the Hilton simply because I did not book my travel insurance with the same agency - What a load of @$%&!

Decisions, Decisions...............

Edited: 4:17 pm, July 17, 2013
Santa Barbara...
reviews: 44
127. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

My husband and I have stay 1 week or more on many island and Barbados is the ONLY one we have gone to twice! Jamaica was 1 of the islands we stayed at as well, we stayed in a Sandals in Montego Bay and had a wonderful time. We have enjoyed our yearly vacations to all the islands but with only a couple weeks a year to travel we tend to lean toward trying new places each year. Barbados we will visit many more times I am sure!

We have stayed in Christ Church Parish as well as St James Parish and never had any problems walking anywhere day or night. Visited Bridgetown many times and never had a problem there either.

Go to Barbados it is a wonderful island with kind, polite, citizens.

We are doing Ambergris Caye, Belize in Feb 2014 (for the diving) but will return to Barbado again and again!!!

Santa Barbara...
reviews: 44
128. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

Also, we used to stay at all inclusives as well but Barbados is a very safe place and each stay there we utilized a vacation rented and couldnt have been happier we did. We ate the best food ever at locally owned and staffed establishments. Much more authentic and fresh food !! We made many Bajan friends because we DIDNT stay at a resort...

London, United...
129. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

SoRoyal, we are in the same boat. We arrive three weeks on Monday. TA hasn't offered us an equivalent that won't cost £600 to upgrade to. So this is a suck and see moment as far as I can see?

New York
130. Re: Worrying about Couples Barbados

what is going on with the Couple resorts now so many posts deleted hard to follow. also looking at CSA Negril but all the posts are deleted there also

Get answers to your questions about St Lawrence Gap