We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

Which Maxwell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands, UK
1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

I'm so looking forward to our holiday to Barbados!! It's my 30th birthday and also our anniversary whilst we're there making it even more special!

I've not been well for the last 6 weeks but finally seem to be on the mend... phew!!

We are staying in a suite at Bougainvillea so are self-catering. Is there a supermarket nearby?

Any tips for our stay? Which places should we visit?

(We are hoping to hire a car, go horse riding, try some water sports, go to the horse racing on July 5th and also go to Oistins.)

Sorry for the long post, just soooo excited!!!!!!

36 replies to this topic
Sheffield, England
reviews: 31
1. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

Not that you are counting at all then lol?!!

If you turn right outside the Boug you will find a small convenience store within 50 yards or so. For a larger supermarket head to Oistins Supercentre. There is a smaller supermarket in Dover - walk along the beach then through the alley onto the road ... walk takes about 15 mins.

You can ask the Boug to order some starter supplies for you too if you want.

reviews: 25
2. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

11 sleeps for us too, very excited. Also our anniversary while we are there - 20th! Staying at Savannah Beach. Have a fantastic time.We too are planning Oistins sadly travelling home on the 5th so will miss the racing. Planning a cat trip probably Jammin and a bus trip up to Speightstown.

Midlands, UK
3. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

Thanks both! Yep, I've got a countdown set on my phone, work computer and laptop!!!!

If we do quite a big shop would you say it would be best to get a taxi? (We might not hire the car until a few days in). Is the food expensive in comparison to a UK supermarket?

We booked an extra two nights specifically to go horse racing! I just can't wait!!

Chrissywales_9again , do you go out on the 24th then? We might see you at the airport!!!

Sheffield, England
4. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

You could walk or get the bus to Oistins if you wanted then either taxi or the Supercentre's free shuttle bus back.

reviews: 25
5. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

MissIsla we are leaving on 23rd so be there before you lol

Sheffield, England
6. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

Sorry I missed the cost question ... Sort of similar to UK prices overall on the supermarket shopping plus I'd say maybe 5% ish. Some things cost more, some less than here and it still surprises me how that pans out at times. Coffee is expensive (it is the one thing I pack in my suitcase and take). You'll see Waitrose imported products which are cheaper than they are here and some local brands that are more and vice versa. All prices are clearly displayed so just check before you put it in your trolley. Overall it's similar to home I think. It just never seems such a chore there though.

Midlands, UK
7. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

That's great thank you.

Did you find it diffcult working out how much things cost with converting from Bajun Dollars to US Dollars to pounds etc.!?

Has anyone been to the horse racing whilst out there?

Holetown, Barbados
reviews: 23
8. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

Missisia The rate of exchange is around 3 to the pound at the moment, so just divide all prices in the supermarket by three.

I am a member of the Barbados Turf Club, so go racing at the Garrison all the time I'm there ---------------, what would you like to know?

Midlands, UK
9. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

Thanks Westiegal3!

Is the Garrison fairly easy to get to from Bougainvillea? Would we find it easier if that was one of the days we have a hire car?

Generally, what time is the first race? Are there different types of tickets and which are the best!? Is there a dress code?

Holetown, Barbados
reviews: 23
10. Re: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!

I'm not very familiar with Hotels on the south coast, but if you follow the coast road towards Bridgetown, just before you get there, you will see the Light and Power offices on the left on Bay Street and you turn immediately right on the road opposite, That takes you straight to the Race Course

You can stand on the rail or inside the course free, or you can go through the main gate and pay to go in the main Stand, or a little more to go in Owners and Trainers and if it's a quiet day, it is sometimes possible to pay to go in the Air Conditioned Member's Lounge.

Dress code is casual in the Stand , and it bit smarter in Owners and Trainers and fairly strict in the Members ie no T shirts, no jeans, no 3/4 pants etc. Gentlemen should wear a collared shirt , long trousers and proper shoes. Ladies smart casual, ie a summer dress and nice sandals not rubber flip flops.

Racing in the Summer usually starts around 1.30 to 2 pm depending on the number of races, but check when you get there .

Here is the link

www.barbadosturfclub.org/race-day-events/

Edited: 7:05 am, June 13, 2013
Reply to: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours and 49 minutes till we go!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maxwell