We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To book or not to book

Which Maxwell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
High Wycombe...
reviews: 1
To book or not to book

We're flying to Barbados on 27th December for 3 weeks. Normally, we stay at the southern palms however this year we're on more of a budget and are staying at the rostrevor. For some reason virgin would only allow us to book 17 nights at the rostrevor so we thought we'd take the opportunity to stay at the southern palms for the last 4 nights.

The problem is that the best price I can get for the southern palms for 4 nights is over £1000 which is more expensive than the hilton and is about £300 more expensive that the bougainvillea ( I've stayed at both and in my opinion, they're both better than the southern palms). If it was fantastic theyd be no hesitation but although it has some nice touches and we know the staff, it just isn't worth £250 per night.

My question is whether we should book the last 4 nights before we go or to do it when we are in Barbados in the hope that we'll get a good price for booking in person, at the last minute. I think it's a risk whereas the husband thinks we should wait.

15 replies to this topic
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 55
1. Re: To book or not to book

You are going in the high season. You will try to negotiate with a hotel that knows you don't have any options, so they have you dead centre and no where to go. So it is best to negotiate something before you leave knowing what it will cost.

Plus you won't have much choice in rooms, you'll get what's left.

It's really up to you to decide what you do.

Best of luck.

Sheffield, England
reviews: 30
2. Re: To book or not to book

So did you book a 21 night holiday with 17 nights hotel with Virgin Holidays?? Not sure .... but I would say that you'd need to check what room category was being offered at S Palms for the money. If the Hilton and Boug are coming in much cheaper then why not go with one of those? Sorry if I am missing something here.

High Wycombe...
3. Re: To book or not to book

Yes that's right, flights for 21 days but could only book 17 nights accommodation at the rostrevor. The issue is that my husband wants to stay at the southern palms however the current prices really aren't justifying the stay. Although the hilton and bougainvillea are better, the location within the gap is better for us. We thought that maybe we could hold out, the southern palms might give us a good deal however I'm not so sure.

peterborough
reviews: 19
4. Re: To book or not to book

Why not try the South Gap hotel which is next door to the Rostrevor

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 189
5. Re: To book or not to book

Kerry H

I would spend the other 4 nights at the Hilton as it has a better location than the Bougainvillea for sure. Book as soon as possible...don't delay.

Regards

Edmonton
reviews: 49
6. Re: To book or not to book

Kerry H

Check out hotels.com. I just looked for Jan 13 - 17 there are a few Gap hotels available. For example Divi Southwinds is only £106 vs Southern Palms at £222.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for St Lawrence Gap
reviews: 17
7. Re: To book or not to book

Kerry, i agree with blueboy, try South Gap hotel, it is right next door so not far to move you and your possessions .

London
reviews: 2
8. Re: To book or not to book

Check www.virginholidays.co.uk

You can book a 'Hotel Only' package through them. I've just done a quick search for 4 nights from 13-17 Jan and they've quoted £620 for a room at the Southern Palms based on 2 people sharing. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me given that if you book directly with SP they'll quote $325USD per night.

Best of luck, I love Southern Palms and it's always my first choice.

High Wycombe...
9. Re: To book or not to book

Thanks so much for everyone's replies and advice...and a very special thanks to p_buxton. I'm going to check that out tonight and will book if I can find the same deal

London
reviews: 2
10. Re: To book or not to book

You're most welcome, hope it works out well for you.

Reply to: To book or not to book
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maxwell