We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

Which Hastings hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Matlock, United...
reviews: 3
Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

Hi, we are looking at going to the Savannah Beach Hotel with Virgin in Feb 2013. It is advertised as a really good family friendly hotel with loads for the kids to do. We are taking our 12 year old and are worried because it looks like the pool is really small. Is it ok for children or dosent it attract many for this reason? Does anybody know what sort of things they do in the kids club and if its any good?Also we have read bad reviews because of the beach. It will be our first trip to Barbados having previously been to Mexico. We want to chill while our daughter plays. Is this as good as Virgin says? Thanks x

Edited: 1:46 pm, July 01, 2012
Glos.
reviews: 9
1. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

I wouldn't say it is an ideal hotel for children. The entrance to the sea is very rocky with lots of sharp coral so you wouldn't be able to lie on a sunbed whilst your daughter runs in and out of the sea, you would have to take her along to the next beach for swimming. Also the grounds are quite small with lots of small paths and steps up and down, no large grassed area for children to play. And the main restaurant (Rachels) which has the best food is quite formal and the service can be slow.

The games area wasn't open while we were there so can't comment on that.

A great hotel for couples and older people in my opinion but not really for children.

What a shame Almond Beach Village is closing, can't think of anywhere else that is as good as that in terms of lovely beach and huge grounds suitable for children.

Derby, United...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

Hi

We stayed at this hotel during Xmas and New Year and had an horrendous experience and had to be moved after 3 days. The hotel was still being renovated and Virgin should never have allowed guests to stay here - it was like a ghost town with nothing open apart from the beach bar and restaurant. However, the reviews now are very good and it appears all the facilities are up and running.

Nevertheless, however great the food, staff, entertainment, cleanliness is I would definitely not recommend this hotel for a family with a child of 12 (we travelled with our 11 year old and another family with kids of 11 and 13).

The beach is certainly not 'family friendly' - rocky and small and unsuitable for swimming and running in an out. Like other reviewers have commented, there are beautiful beaches literally a minutes walk either side but this didn't work for us. I understand there is a shuttle bus that runs to Carlisle Bay each day where you benefit from sunloungers and drinks. This facility wasn't in action when we stayed here but again, I wouldn't want to have this carry on each day but maybe acceptable for you. We have been to Barbados many times and Carlisle Bay is lovely.

There are lots and lots of steps around this hotel and can be extremely slippy if it's been raining and although a 12 child year old is more sensible it could be a nightmare if they start running around with other friends they meet.

The pool area is very attractive - bit like a lazy river that meanders through the hotel grounds and opens up into a larger area; although still small. Again, I wouldn't say it was particularly 'family friendly'.

Sorry to be negative but having a daughter this age myself and having stayed here (albeit for only a few days) I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

If you love the beach, I recommend hotels nearer Rockley beach or even better Dover beach (this is where we stay every year) which is fantastic.

There are some great beaches left on the West coast although a lot are very narrow now but you tend to find the accommodation a little more expensive around this area.

We love Barbados and the people are fantastic. My daughter loves it and we also travel with our 18 year old who over the years has made fantastic friends - he's travelling with us again this year and loves it but we stay on Dover beach with is fantastic.

Crawley
reviews: 15
3. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

No it isn't as good as Virgin says unfortunately - other reviews suggest the kids club was great with an Xbox and wii, but that isn't what I wanted my kids doing. There are persistent issues with either of the pools having to be shut too for whole days at a time, the latest reviews are fairly daming sorry to say.

Holetown, Barbados
reviews: 23
4. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

X Box and Wii !!!!! on a holiday in Barbados?? Are you kidding ?.The beach , a calm sea and other children to play with is all a child needs for the best playground in the World. I've never read such rubbish.!

Edited: 9:13 am, September 01, 2012
Crawley
5. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

Yes other reviews suggest the kids club was great with an Xbox and wii BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANTED MY KIDS DOING.

You have never read such rubbish because you have misunderstood the statement - with a closed pool and sea you cannot even paddle in, there are limited things to do at this particular hotel for kids

Holetown, Barbados
reviews: 23
6. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

Yes I realise the problems with the beach and pools Ian G I didn't misunderstand, I'm just stunned that a Hotel and Virgin would think that an X Box would make up for shortcomings in the very reason people holiday in Barbados and want to bring children !

Edited: 9:46 am, September 01, 2012
Crawley
7. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

Ok high five sorry for my misunderstanding - totally agree, smacks of no effort being put in whatsoever. Seems a waste as you say but it is an easy solution, maybe ok for a rainy day but no excuse!

8. Re: Savannah Beach Hotel for kids. As good as advertised??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hastings