We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

Scotland
reviews: 1
Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

I planning on a trip to travel from Malawi to Tanzania. Ill be travelling with in a group of 5 in a Pick up truck(is it possible to take the pickup truck on the ferry?). I am looking for the best route to take from malawi to Tanzania, also looking for Tips and Advice as this is my first time travelling from Malawi to Tanzania.

Thanks a lot

Fraz

Sheffield, United...
1. Re: Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

Hi, there are no ferries Malawi to Tanzania, the lake ferry, Ilala, which plies up and down the lake, used to go from Malawi to Tans, but that finished some time ago, and the ferry now only goes across the lake to the Likoma islands, then goes to Moz. There is a main road connection at the top of the lake at Songwe, this is the main route into Tans. There are small ad hoc ferries across the lake, but these are to be avoided, as they are unlicenced, and invariably overloaded. Lake Malawi can turn VERY nasty very quickly, it is not to be underestimated.

I will pm a general advice letter.

Dont hesitate to ask any questions.

Ivan

Scotland
2. Re: Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

Mr Ivan ,

Thanks a lot. Looking at land routes. Thinking of going to Gecko Lounge at Monkey Bay spending a Night or 2 and then heading to Tanzania, Only problem is still checking the routes on Google Map.

Is the Land route through Zambia(Visa Issues)?

How long does the journey take from Monkey Bay to Dar Es Salaam, Any Stops/Cheap accomadtion/Hostels Recommended?

Plenty more questions to come your way sir, Hope you are okay with that.

Many Thanks,

FRAZ

Sheffield, United...
3. Re: Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

Hi, there is a border with Tanzania at Songwe, so its straight through. I think you need a map, there are no maps of any use on the internet that I have found, they are all too large a scale. Go to africabookcentre.com. look up the Malawi page, (and the Tanzania page), you will find maps there. about £6-7. mail order, by return, very good service.

I'm afraid I know nothing outside Malawi, that is my heaven, so have never been anywhere else. the bus to Dar takes about 27hrs from Lilongwe. its probably about 8-10 hrs to the border, so that gives a rough idea of times, bearing in mind that Africa time is somewhat diferent to UK time!! There are pages of info on Tanz on the intrnt as it is a more visited place, so you should have no problem finding places to stay. There is a busy forum on TA so you should get some leads from there just ask!

Ivan

Sheffield, United...
4. Re: Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

Hi again, as a matter of interest, (without wishing to appear too nosy!), where are you starting from, what is your trip about? you seem to be intending to rush away to Tanz without enjoying what Malawi has to offer.

Ivan

Scotland
5. Re: Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

Hey,

Im going to be spending around 1 month in Malawi.It is after then I'm planning to travel to Tanzania and Zanzibar. Ive Visited Malawi in the past it is a Beautiful country and Hospitality and welcome from the people are amazing!

Thanks for your Information. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some maps.

Cheers

Fraz

Sheffield, United...
6. Re: Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

OK, gotcha, hope you have a great time, any questions pleased to help if I can, but if you have been before then you will have a good knowledge already.

Ivan

7. Re: Please Help Info Ferry to Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:39 am, November 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Maclear