We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Kos in October

Which Kos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan
reviews: 17
Where to stay in Kos in October

Hi, hoping someone can help with this.

Going to be travelling to Kos on the 17th October for a week. Not booked yet (will be doing next week) but it will be then, it's my other half's 30th birthday on the 20th October so we want to be away then.

We both love Greece but have never been to Kos. Wondering where the best place to stay is in October.

Been looking at a couple of places that look nice in both the Kos town area and Tingaki.

Neither of us like the whole "Brits abroad" culture, eg going somewhere to have loads of English beer and English breakfast every day, bingo round the pool etc, we just want to relax and we both like to eat local food, drink local drinks and do whatever the locals do (and take in the culture).

I know October will be quiet, that's fine but we do want to stay somewhere where we can go and have a few cocktails and a nice meal easily, somewhere with a bit of life and not a ghost town (just nowhere particularly crazy).

Keen to avoid the whole British / Irish bars thing, never experienced that in Greece anywhere that we've been, only been totally Greek before. Been a bit worried by some of these posts that a lot of places on Kos sound like that.

Is there anywhere that anyone could recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 61
1. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

That late in the season I would definitely choose Kos Town, which of course is open all year.

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
2. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

Hi there

Yes, good call, many of the resorts will be very quiet as the season ends the last week of October and you will probably find that many of the local shops, bars and restaurants are winding down, if not closed. Kos Town is a year-round place, always busy and of course, home to lots of locals.

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
reviews: 24
3. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

Has Steve and gb said kos town would be my choice has a lot of places were closing after the first week in October last year

Wigan
4. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

Thanks for the replies to both of you.

There is a plentiful selection of holidays going to Tingaki that date, literally around 50 different apartments / hotels, is it really likely to be shut down totally?

The reason I'm asking is my first choice apartments (Mayflower) is in Tingaki.

Having said that is Kos town likely to be more Greek though as it's where a lot of locals live and is TIngaki more of a "resort" where there are likely to be lots of tacky bars?

Appreciate responses, having never been to Kos I'm quite curious and I want to get it right.

Thanks again.

Widnes, United...
reviews: 18
5. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

Tigaki is a purpose built resort and although it isn't particularly Greek in a traditional sense it has some great bars and restaurants none of which I would describe as "tacky". It's a very friendly, laid back, family orientated resort with a fabulous beach. Not sure how much of it will still be open in late October though we've only ever been in peak season.

Edited: 10:10 am, June 15, 2012
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
6. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

Tigaki is a resort, but not the type of resort with tacky bars. There are a handful of bars, and probably about 20 tavernas, some shops and supermarkets and travel shops, and a lovely beach. It is quite British, but there are other natoinalities around.

Kos Town is very cosmopolitan with many Europeans from all sorts of contries there. There are a couple of Irish bars in KT, but they can easily be avoided!

I think Tigaki would not have enough for you so late in the season, but clearly it's your call. However, there is an hourly bus service until early evening into Kos Town which is only about 6 miles away, or at that time of the year cycling would be quite pleasant if you like that sort of thing.

Where else have you been in Greece that you did (or didn't) enjoy? That would give us more of an idea of what you're after.

Wigan
7. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

Thanks once again to everyone for your advice. I was torn to be completely honest between the two but I think I'll continue my search around Kos Town and look for somewhere nice close to there in a quiet(ish) location.

Been looking at the Hotel Bahamas and also the Ambavris apartments, both look within walking distance of the town centre.

Steve for reference, my favourite place in Greece by a long way (so far) is Skiathos but sadly that closes down for tourists at the beginning of October due to it's location.

Stephen

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
8. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

I hope I don't get shot down in flames for saying this lol:

In some ways I think Tigaki is similar in style to somewhere like Troulos, but it is bigger and flatter. Mind you I haven't been to Troulos for about 7 years...

Kos Town has some parallels with Skiathos Town, but is obviously a lot bigger and more spread out wth the resort areas either side of town, and while it has lots of history etc., it is more overtly commercial. Again I haven't been to Sk.T for 7 years.

The scenery in Kos, with the possible exception of the mountain areas, cannot compete with Skiathos. In my opinion, I should add ;)

Wigan
9. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

Thanks Steve...I'm not going expecting it to be exactly like Skiathos, but just want somewhere nice and, well...Greek.

Skiathos IS beautiful and I'm sure Kos is beautiful in it's own way.

I do like Skiathos Town and I'm sure Kos Town is similar...I knew it would be larger. I am still torn between Tigaki and Kos Town though...I do usually stay in Troulos when I go to Skiathos.

If the bus service ran into the evening between Tigaki and Kos Town during October I probably would opt for that...it would be nice to go into the town in an evening for a variety of tavernas / bars etc.

Got some more thinking to do over the weekend and then will book next week.

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
reviews: 24
10. Re: Where to stay in Kos in October

You won't go far wrong with the Bahamas if it is open I know the closed mid way through October last year ?

Get answers to your questions about Kos Town
Recent Conversations